what does a certificate of title mean

When buying a used bike in the states what does the certificate of title mean, he said he had it street leaged does this confirm this and can easily be transfored to a new owner or is it just like a bill of sale. thanks for the help. ?

When buying a used bike in the states what does the certificate of title mean, he said he had it street leaged does this confirm this and can easily be transfored to a new owner or is it just like a bill of sale. thanks for the help. ?

This is the real deal to show you own it and its what you sign when selling and what the new owner needs to change it over. Certificate of Origin is kinda the same deal, but one step before the title, this is what they come with new, then when sold, these are used to title it. I bought my WR in Oregon with a title, it was tagged as road legal/dual sported, brought it to my state and it was transferred to WA title and kept road legal. But if I'd bought this new in my state, would never of been able to do this as long as the model is dubbed as "off road".

If the bike is street legal and titled, it should be transferable to you as a street legal/dual sport motorcycle. My title does not say "dual sport", it just has a standard title like the rest of my vehicles (cars and street bikes).

How that's transfered to Canada, I'm not sure.

"Certificate of Title" is another term for "Pink Slip." It shows who the actual owner is. If you are making payments on the bike, then it will show a lienholder. Once it's paid off, you have to go to the DMV and get the lienholder taken off the Title.