10+ YZF and top pros..

37 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted July 22, 2011 - 07:35 PM

On my 2011 I would like to ease the shift from 2nd to 3rd -

The new bike has an upgraded shift fork.

• ah665

Posted July 25, 2011 - 04:35 AM

Hahn had a good ride this weekend. I dunno, 3 Yam riders in the top 10 and none of them are 'big name guys' . As said, I stand behind the bike and think it's unfair for 3 of the top pros to complain this year about the bike. But I am not a top10 pro, nor do i own the bike. Either way it makes for good conversation / bench racing.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 25, 2011 - 06:58 AM

I have my 10 dialed in just right for me. This is far the best riding bike I have owned. I will keep it all next year and the in 2013 I will see what Yamaha comes out with. If its nothing big of a change I will get a leftover 12

• alien

Posted July 25, 2011 - 04:06 PM

I have had a 2010 for seven months and just now got used to it.
I had enzo revalve it and lower the rear, also stiffer springs front and rear.
I can say this is now a great bike. I am faster on this bike than I was on the 08 yz 450.
Is the bike great stock? No. The 06-09 bikes were race ready out of the crate but with proper setup the 10-11 bikes are better.
If I could make one request of yamaha it would be to slim the bike down in the gas tank area. For a tall rider it is hard to get up over the front and stick it in a berm with the shrouds so wide.

• NewMexican

Posted July 25, 2011 - 04:16 PM

I have my 08's working great and haven't been to impressed with any 10 or 11 I've ridden so far...

I'll be keeping the 08's around for quite awhile. I might just try to 'skip' this whole gen of 450... :smirk:

• Icon

Posted July 29, 2011 - 07:44 AM

For the record i am a fan of the bike (although I do not own one). It almost seems like a great bike until it's pushed to it's limits or until the rider makes a mistake. I just find it odd to hear pros complaining when it seemed like most locals and ppl online seem to love it. This is especially weird when you see the mixed reviews about the new CRF450, yet at the races, there are so many A riders and National Pro privateers racing them.

Ya that must be why more top pros ride the Yamaha more than any other brand by almost two to one. Check the results from Washougal. 14 yamahas, 8 kawasakis, 5 Suzukis, 7 hondas and 5 KTMs. And as I have said before, Yamaha does not have a factory team.

• TripleUp

Posted July 29, 2011 - 08:18 AM

I heard from a friend, of a friend, of a friend, of a friend, that knows someone, who has a friend, of a friend, that has a friend, that says this bike isn't that good because his friend, has a friend, who tried riding it one time. I own one and I love it and anything else you hear about it is probably just as true as the sentence above this one, which of course is completely factual.

• tech24

Posted July 29, 2011 - 10:08 AM

I heard from a friend, of a friend, of a friend, of a friend, that knows someone, who has a friend, of a friend, that has a friend, that says this bike isn't that good because his friend, has a friend, who tried riding it one time. I own one and I love it and anything else you hear about it is probably just as true as the sentence above this one, which of course is completely factual.

must be the same friend I have :smirk: In honesty the bike sucks, its comfortable in stock trim, a blast to ride, and with proper mods makes the most incredible offroad machine I've ever crashed.

Now if were talkin MX I couldn't tell how it is cause I'm slow

• primerib108

Posted July 29, 2011 - 02:02 PM

The only con I could possibly think of is the fuel capacity because I am mostly a woods rider.....otherwise my 06 would have been replaced by now.

Edited by primerib108, July 29, 2011 - 05:48 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tech24

Posted July 29, 2011 - 02:17 PM

The only con I could possibly think of is the fuel capacity because I am most a woods rider.....otherwise my 06 would have been replaced by now.

Thats true but isn't it only a .2 gallon difference? Doesn't the EFI make up for that? I don't know for sure but I don't think the MPT (miles per tank) is much different

• primerib108

Posted July 29, 2011 - 02:50 PM

With and aftermarket tank on my gen you can easily increase to 3.2 gallons and not screw-up the ergos......I don't think 10 and up has that same luxury. I have seen some of the high capacity tanks and they look odd in design......the fact that they look fugly has nothing to do with it though.

• tech24

Posted July 29, 2011 - 03:04 PM

With and aftermarket tank on my gen you can easily increase to 3.2 gallons and not screw-up the ergos......I don't think 10 and up has that same luxury. I have seen some of the high capacity tanks and they look odd in design......the fact that they look fugly has nothing to do with it though.

Ah gotcha, wouldn't know about the bigger tanks I can't seem to outlast a stock tank

• primerib108

Posted July 29, 2011 - 05:47 PM

Ah gotcha, wouldn't know about the bigger tanks I can't seem to outlast a stock tank

Out of curiosity, how many miles can you squeeze out of a tank? I can get just over 60kms but that is first and second gear trail riding.

• sean3239

Posted July 30, 2011 - 03:41 AM

The front end is twitchy..could never get rid of that. You can see it last year when JS raced Unadilla and those that race it this year. I think you have to ride it a bit different and either you get used to it or not.

• Family Man

Posted July 30, 2011 - 07:11 PM

One of the co0lest looking bikes on the showroom floor.

• aaron810

Posted August 04, 2011 - 03:25 PM

the bike definately feels unbalanced i had factory connection do the suspension and its not much better even after a million adjustments i think the faster you ride it the more you notice that it doesnt handle that well very twitchy at speed scary.

• tech24

Posted August 05, 2011 - 03:41 AM

Out of curiosity, how many miles can you squeeze out of a tank? I can get just over 60kms but that is first and second gear trail riding.

probably about 35 miles not really sure only a guess

• tech24

Posted August 05, 2011 - 03:43 AM

the bike definately feels unbalanced i had factory connection do the suspension and its not much better even after a million adjustments i think the faster you ride it the more you notice that it doesnt handle that well very twitchy at speed scary.

I feel the opposite, the faster I go the better it handles....has a little twitch at the immediate beginning of a turn but it doens't bother me. Just put a scotts unit on and I have a feeling that will be gone now.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.