tire selection

4 replies to this topic
  • mat

Posted June 05, 2001 - 01:07 PM

was wonderin what everyone else is runnin on their yzs, looking for a good hard terrain tire, am currently runnin pirreli mt 18r and mt44f

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 05, 2001 - 01:52 PM

First question to your question is........
Do you race?
If so look into the Michelin H-12
Mich pays you if you finish top 5.
5th- $10
4th- $20
3rd- $30
2nd- $40
1st- $50
cant beat free tires!
I haven't paid for a tire for 2yrs!
The cool thing is that most mcycle shops don't care what you spend the Mich bucks on.
so either tires or plastics/etc/etc.
Not quite sure of a good hard tire other than what I just stated cuz all we have around here is deserts and mountains . We don't do too much Hard pack riding but maybe one of these guys that goes to MOAB can help you out.
Just thought I'd throw in the fact of FREE tires!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jasons

Posted June 05, 2001 - 02:21 PM

I have been using the MT480s front and rear and like them a lot on intermediate to blue groove. I used the MT18's before that with good luck also. The 18 front seems better if you are on clay and they water but I like the 480 front better everywhere else except real soft stuff like sand(it is a Hard Terrain tire after all). I also tried a Michelin starcross HT rear but it didn't hook up as well as the 480, plus it was the hardest tire to mount I have used in a long time, it seemed to have real stiff sidewalls.

• mxbundy

Posted June 05, 2001 - 02:31 PM

Free tires? WOW what series do you have to run to get this payout? Just happens that i need a new set of Int. tires. Does Mich. have a web site? Where do you register for this ?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 05, 2001 - 05:37 PM

I think that Mich does it across the country but not quite pos. on that one.
The program is called B.I.B. Bucks if you can get on their web site. or the phone
# to Michilen is......ummmmm i can't find my last letter from them but I will get the # on here as soon as I find the letter.
The regulations require that you run Mich. front and rear with a Mich.sticker on each side of the bike and a piece of mich advertisement on your gear.
Simple enuf for FREE tires!
I won a $70 cert.toward Mich 2yrs ago and took me about 6months to break down and buy the "overpriced" tires. After I did , regaurdless of the BIB bucks I will AlWAYS buy Mich because they have been BY FAR the best tires I have tried.
Check with MIchelin about the BIB BUCK 2WHEEL program.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.