03 yz450f issue

3 replies to this topic
  • chris35moto

Posted July 19, 2011 - 04:09 PM

I just traded my raptor 350 for a 03 yz450f. I love the bike, the things an absolute beast. Ive just been having a stalling issue with it. The bike keeps stalling when i brake very hard. At first i thought it was just me being sloppy with the clutch, but then i tested it in a straight line with the clutch pulled to the handlebars and it still stalled. I'm thinking the float level may be off but i haven't pulled the bike apart yet. I'm just wondering if this is on common issue on the 03-05 yzs.

Also, whats the proper clutching technique for coming out of corners on a four stroke? I'm used to riding a two stroke so Ive been feathering the clutch to control the bike coming out of corners, but i read that doing so may be bad for the clutch.

• LemonDrizzle

Posted July 19, 2011 - 04:22 PM

Might just be really rich on the pilot jet. Try leaning out the mixture screw and see what happens. BTW, the mixture screw is a fuel screw so turning it in is lean and out is rich.

On the clutch note, I just switched from a 2 stroke also and one thing I have noticed with the four strokes is that the power is so much easier to control. I'm no pro by any means, but so far I just tend to dump the clutch and control my exit with the throttle. I ride on mostly hard packed clay and it seems to work. Like I said though, I'm no pro by any stretch of the imagination. I'm sure there are others that ride way better than me that may offer different advise.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 19, 2011 - 06:38 PM

Float level high or idle adjusted too rich. Idle could be too low, too, but too rich is more likely.

• yzdaddy

Posted July 22, 2011 - 05:22 PM

i second grayracer 513. check idle first

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.