Keep Getting Dirt in the Carb

41 replies to this topic
  • LemonDrizzle

Posted July 19, 2011 - 03:17 PM

2006 YZ450F. The problem I keep having is that I am getting a pretty good deal of fine dust in my carb on the slide and in the slide chamber as you can see in the pics. It's done this since I got the bike and i can't seem to find the source of the problem. It's been REALLY dusty the last two times I've been out but I never had this problem on my other bike......at all. Before I went out this last time I took the airbox apart and siliconed everything to make sure nothing was leaking there and judging by the cleanliness of the airbox after this ride, it isn't leaking. Also, if it were leaking I would think the area around the air jets would have this orange dust on it which it doesn't. So that leaves a leak in the carb somewhere. The first time I saw this mess I replaced the top oring on the slide cover. That didn't work. Now I'm just stumped. Could the hot start be leaking somewhere or are there any other areas of the airbox or carb that I need to check that I don't know about? Grrrrrrrrr. This is not making me happy.:(:p:smirk:

Oh yeah, I completely cleaned the carb before going out this last time.

Posted Image
Posted Image

• dgcars

Posted July 19, 2011 - 03:41 PM

Are you using a K&N or a dry filter?

• LemonDrizzle

Posted July 19, 2011 - 04:13 PM

I'm using a Twin Air filter oiled with No Toil air filter oil. I did some more looking at the airbox under some good light and it does look like there is a very fine layer of dust in the airbox. The layer was so light and perfectly even that I didn't notice it until I touched it with my finger. I oiled the crap out of my filter before going out but I'm almost wondering if it just isn't so dang dusty that this super fine dust is just getting through the filter. I can't see how because I've never had this problem with anything else and I'm riding at the same place but I just can't find anything or anywhere that it would be leaking air at.

• Gunner354

Posted July 19, 2011 - 04:23 PM

I'm using a Twin Air filter oiled with No Toil air filter oil. I did some more looking at the airbox under some good light and it does look like there is a very fine layer of dust in the airbox. The layer was so light and perfectly even that I didn't notice it until I touched it with my finger. I oiled the crap out of my filter before going out but I'm almost wondering if it just isn't so dang dusty that this super fine dust is just getting through the filter. I can't see how because I've never had this problem with anything else and I'm riding at the same place but I just can't find anything or anywhere that it would be leaking air at.

Sounds like you just showed us why many do NOT use Notoil.
Maxima or Belray is all that I will use!

• LemonDrizzle

Posted July 19, 2011 - 04:41 PM

Sounds like you just showed us why many do NOT use Notoil.
Maxima or Belray is all that I will use!

Is that so?? I wasn't aware that No Toil was crap. Maybe it is but still...why didn't I have this problem on my other bike using the same filter and filter oil? Granted my other bike is a 250 2T but I don't see where that would make any difference. Maybe I just need to get a new filter and try some different filter oil and see what happens. All I know is I'm getting tired of cleaning my carb and feeling like I am shaving hours of life off of my engine every time I ride.

• primerib108

Posted July 19, 2011 - 04:52 PM

First time I heard notoil was crap too.....use it all the time and never had a problem yet. Carb vent tubes maybe?

• bikerdude11

Posted July 19, 2011 - 05:05 PM

Carb vent tubes maybe?

Exactly what I was thinking. I've run across a few older threads now with this problem, as well as myself. If I remember correctly, one guy fixed the problem by installing some sort of in-line filter into the vent tubes leading to the upper carb chamber.

When I first got my bike, it was pretty dirty in the top area, just like yours, but nowhere else. I haven't checked it again lately, but I bet there's a bit of dirt in there.

• LemonDrizzle

Posted July 19, 2011 - 06:43 PM

I looked up a bunch of posts on vent tubes and there seems to be a lot mixed opinions concerning whether or not the vent tubes can actually suck dirt/dust all the way up into the carb so I'm not sure what to think about that whole deal at the moment.

edit - I pulled the vent hoses off the carb and stuck a q-tip down in them to if there was any dust in them and they were pretty much spotless. So I'm thinking it's not the vent tubes.

Edited by LemonDrizzle, July 19, 2011 - 07:14 PM.

• crf450319

Posted July 19, 2011 - 07:08 PM

There's a product out there that incorporates an inline filter into all of the vent tubes, I'd either buy it or come up with something on your own. I've had the same fine dust/dirt in my carb and I use Belray & change/clean my filter very regularly.

I'd guess that most of the carbs out there look similar to yours, unless they're being removed and cleaned on a regular basis. Especially bikes that are ridden in a lot of dry dusty conditions.

• NB061

Posted July 19, 2011 - 07:21 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. I've run across a few older threads now with this problem, as well as myself. If I remember correctly, one guy fixed the problem by installing some sort of in-line filter into the vent tubes leading to the upper carb chamber.

When I first got my bike, it was pretty dirty in the top area, just like yours, but nowhere else. I haven't checked it again lately, but I bet there's a bit of dirt in there.

+1. filter or run them (2 upper vents) up the frame backbone.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ttr250dude

Posted July 19, 2011 - 10:31 PM

Check the boot between the carb and airbox. Bad boots can crack, allowing air in. Personally I would take the rubber gasket out and put a thin layer of grease around all the whole thing.

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2011 - 06:51 AM

The dust is not getting past the air filter if there's none in the carb throat. The air in the slide well doesn't come from there. It should also be pointed out that little or none of the dust you see in the slide well is getting into the engine, either.

Put a filter on your vent lines.

• LemonDrizzle

Posted July 20, 2011 - 09:01 AM

Would some inline fuel filters work as a temporary fix until I can get one of 7602 Racing filters ordered? Or would they not be capable of catching stuff that small?

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2011 - 12:04 PM

If it was me, I wouldn't worry about it for that length of time.

• yamaduner

Posted July 20, 2011 - 12:13 PM

I also agree that the dust problem isn't from your air filter. I suspect the vent tubes. It's really dusty here in Az. and this is how dust was getting into my carb. In addition to maintaining a properly oiled filter, I also use a pre-filter "Outerwear". These also work great in the sand dunes...and I would never ride there without one over my air filter.

On another note, I only use Maxima air filter oil.

• Gunner354

Posted July 20, 2011 - 12:28 PM

Is that so?? I wasn't aware that No Toil was crap. Maybe it is but still...why didn't I have this problem on my other bike using the same filter and filter oil? Granted my other bike is a 250 2T but I don't see where that would make any difference. Maybe I just need to get a new filter and try some different filter oil and see what happens. All I know is I'm getting tired of cleaning my carb and feeling like I am shaving hours of life off of my engine every time I ride.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers but my experience with Notoil has not been positive. Two friends that used Notoil showed signs of dirt past the filter. The bikes had been sitting awhile and the oil literally dried up. One filter looked like it had never been oiled even though it had. Maxima or Belray will stay tacky forever.

• LemonDrizzle

Posted July 20, 2011 - 01:48 PM

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers but my experience with Notoil has not been positive. Two friends that used Notoil showed signs of dirt past the filter. The bikes had been sitting awhile and the oil literally dried up. One filter looked like it had never been oiled even though it had. Maxima or Belray will stay tacky forever.

Lol. No feathers ruffled. Sorry if that came across the wrong way. I did some looking around in reference to No Toil after reading your post and it does seem that there have been some complaints and poor reviews about the green No Toil, which is what I am using. I went to my local shop today and found Belray and Maxima oils but they didn't have the cleaner for them. The only thing they had that had a cleaner was the PJ1 stuff and I really don't know anything about it yet. My past experience with AF oils and cleaners is that one brand's cleaner doesn't work for crap on the other brand's oil so I just passed on everything for the moment. I was really hoping to get the Belray stuff locally but I may have order it.

Yamaduner and Gunner, Do you use the Maxima Fab1 or FFT?

• Gunner354

Posted July 20, 2011 - 02:28 PM

Lol. No feathers ruffled. Sorry if that came across the wrong way. I did some looking around in reference to No Toil after reading your post and it does seem that there have been some complaints and poor reviews about the green No Toil, which is what I am using. I went to my local shop today and found Belray and Maxima oils but they didn't have the cleaner for them. The only thing they had that had a cleaner was the PJ1 stuff and I really don't know anything about it yet. My past experience with AF oils and cleaners is that one brand's cleaner doesn't work for crap on the other brand's oil so I just passed on everything for the moment. I was really hoping to get the Belray stuff locally but I may have order it.

Yamaduner and Gunner, Do you use the Maxima Fab1 or FFT?

The best way to clean the filters is to get a 5 gal bucket with a lid. Fill it with 4 gals of diesel. Buy some rubber gloves and wash the filter in the bucket of diesel, then wash the filter with some dish or laundry soap, rinse and let dry. The bucket of diesel will last a very long time. All the bad stuff sinks to the bottom.

• yamaduner

Posted July 20, 2011 - 02:36 PM

Lemon D..to answer your inquiry....I use Maxima FFT. Always have and always will.:p

NEVER...NEVER...NEVER...use diesel or gas to clean your filter. Use filter cleaner, knock off and loose crud on the filter, spray on a liberal amount of filter cleaner, then wash it out with a gentle stream of water ( not a spray nozzle) from the inside of the filter so that you are not forcing dirt into the filter even more. There are several water based filter oil cleaners on the market that work great and will do a great job in breaking down the fft and getting the dirt off of the filter as well. I use K&N filter cleaner. MOst auto parts stores carry it too. Air dry the filter then apply the FFT (I wear nitrile disposable gloves)..squeezing and working the fft gently into the filter in order to get even coverage. Using gas or diesel will shorten the life of your foam filter. It doesn't take a ton of fft to get good coverage on the filter. I usually pop a small hole in the foil that covers the opening on the fft bottle and drizzle the fft all over the filter before gently squeezing it into the filter surface. Try not to over oil the filter. :smirk: After a few times you will get an idea of how much fft is the correct amount to use.

• Gunner354

Posted July 20, 2011 - 03:14 PM

What are basing the never never use diesel to clean a filter? Please post all of your proven data!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.