Stock tires any good?

7 replies to this topic
  • mgrych

Posted July 18, 2011 - 04:44 PM

what are your opinions on the stock tires that come with the 09? Useable or replace right away?

• brentn

Posted July 18, 2011 - 04:57 PM

Depends on the terrain. The bike comes with soft terrain tires, like motocross/supercross track riding, which is usually softer deeper dirt than in the woods.

Buying the right tires for the right terrain was one of the best upgrades I ever could have done for my bike. Having good hookup makes the bike really show it's true colors in the power department, it also gives you that extra edge to ride faster safer.
Reading the reviews on the 2010 tires for track riding, the consensus was that the rear was good and front was bad, but I've heard good things from other people on both front and rear. For the hard pack woods they are pretty much terrible and should be replaced as soon as possible.

• blakers213

Posted July 18, 2011 - 05:12 PM

On my 09 rear (just ok),front (terrible).

• ubu

Posted July 18, 2011 - 07:00 PM

You need to ride it and see what you think. FWIW, my opinion is below:
On my 08, front horrible, rear ok. Desert riding/racing occasional track.
Going to a 110 width in the rear seemed to make the bike lean in and corner better. I've been happy with Michelin MH3, S12XC, and Dunlop MX51 in back. The S12 seems to hook up in everything: mud, sand, and even rocks and true hardpack. But, It's almost new. It fails on dusty hard pack, but I don't think any tire really excells in that area. The MX51 was great new also. MH3 lasted a while and really didn't have a downfall that I can recall.
Front D952 did better then the stock tire, but just ok. M12xc was good in rocks, but sucked in sand. I've settled on a Pirelli Scorpion Pro up front. That's what I had before I tried the M12, and I'm sticking with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mgrych

Posted July 19, 2011 - 06:06 AM

Well it's hard for me to form my own opinion since this is my first dirt bike. I switched just this month from my LTR. I don't really know much about tires, i'm guessing the stuf you find on trails is going to be hard pack with some rocks and sand and even some mud at times. Am i correct in using these terms for finding a replacement tire?

Do you think my 09's tires are more for deep/ soft track dirt than trail conditions?

• grayracer513

Posted July 19, 2011 - 07:23 AM

What tires are on the bike?

• YamaLink

Posted July 19, 2011 - 08:20 AM

I'll use the stock tires if I'm getting used to a new bike or testing to fine tune the ride. Usually I don't race a new bike for quite a while so "perfect" tire combos don't mean much to me. Just psi. I'm somewhat frugal so the oem set is "free" before I pitch them and put on my faves. History shows I do not replace worn tires with the same that came on the new bike.

• mgrych

Posted July 19, 2011 - 08:52 AM

stock whatever comes with a new 09

I suppose they'll work for now til i really need the extra boost

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.