JB weld shut that oil hole?

6 replies to this topic
  • mgrych

Posted July 18, 2011 - 08:00 AM

I seen gray's thread on fixing that oil drain in the filter housing.. I don't trust myself to be drilling and installing a ball bearing there, so do you think Jb weld would work to close off that hole?

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2011 - 08:51 AM

No. It might actually work, but JB Weld tends to be runny, and you'd be in a lot more danger of having the epoxy run into the threaded hole and foul it than you would be of doing any damage with the drill.

Here's two things you can do to make the operation safer:

Run a screw into the lower bolt hole while you drill. This plugs up the hole so nothing will roll though the back way into the engine, and if you drill too deep, it will stop the bit.
Make a drill bushing. Slip a piece of any kind of stiff tubing over the drill bit so that it leaves only about a quarter inch of the bit exposed. That way, you can't drill any deeper.

It genuinely isn't that difficult or dangerous, and you can practice on a piece of scrap if it makes you feel more confident.

• Fabulous

Posted July 18, 2011 - 09:30 AM

What if you put an oiled bolt in the hole, and then applied the JB weld, and then removed the bolt after it had dried? You think that may work?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mgrych

Posted July 18, 2011 - 09:34 AM

and that ball bearing doesn't allow any oil to pass?

• mgrych

Posted July 18, 2011 - 12:21 PM

or let the jb weld set enough to be thicker?

• Gunner354

Posted July 18, 2011 - 02:51 PM

I used high temp red gasket material on my sons quad with zero issues, but I think the simplest and best way is the guy that used a rivet. Wish I would of thought of that!

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2011 - 03:42 PM

and that ball bearing doesn't allow any oil to pass?

Why would it? The two in the oil passages of your cam caps don't.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.