New Chain Stretch

7 replies to this topic
  • bhsballer76

Posted July 18, 2011 - 06:16 AM

Put on a new set of chain and sprockets before heading to the track yesterday. Chain is a D.I.D VT2 520 chain. Paid $100 for it. Thought it was a good quality chain. Rode about an hour total time(5 to 6 ten minute motos) and the chain streched ALOT. Chain slack was perfect when I left the house and was waaayyy to loose when I left the track..

1. How much should the chain stretch on the first ride?

• tech24

Posted July 18, 2011 - 06:25 AM

Put on a new set of chain and sprockets before heading to the track yesterday. Chain is a D.I.D VT2 520 chain. Paid $100 for it. Thought it was a good quality chain. Rode about an hour total time(5 to 6 ten minute motos) and the chain streched ALOT. Chain slack was perfect when I left the house and was waaayyy to loose when I left the track..

Every chanin is different but with new sprockets, assuming everything is lined up I wouldn't worry a whole bunch. If it keeps happening I'd say chain is crap but I've never used one so I can't say for sure.

• bigdaddykane93

Posted July 18, 2011 - 06:30 AM

this is good to know as i was considering buying a DID VT2... i wonder why it strecthed so much?

• 02NHSChamp4strokeA

Posted July 18, 2011 - 06:41 AM

i have the same chain. I put on new sprokets with the chain.
Ran one Harescramble 2.5 hrs and had to adjust (alot). Put a couple more practice hrs on it and raced this weekend and it has streched a little more, but not enough to adjust yet (borderline). We'll see if it keep streching after this weekends run.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2011 - 07:09 AM

It's pretty typical for a new chain to require adjustment in the first hour or two. Even more so with new sprockets, as everything will have to "wear in" a little. The chains I use are the Regina ORN6, which I run for about two years each, and adjust them maybe 3 times during that period following the original installation. They just don't stretch when properly maintained. Even with that, a brand new one will always loosen up a bit at first, so I make sure I have time to run it for a bit before a race day.

• bigdaddykane93

Posted July 18, 2011 - 07:17 AM

It's pretty typical for a new chain to require adjustment in the first hour or two. Even more so with new sprockets, as everything will have to "wear in" a little. The chains I use are the Regina ORN6, which I run for about two years each, and adjust them maybe 3 times during that period following the original installation. They just don't stretch when properly maintained. Even with that, a brand new one will always loosen up a bit at first, so I make sure I have time to run it for a bit before a race day.

Regina? i never heard of them. where did you buy it? and how much? got a link that you can provide? thanks

• tech24

Posted July 18, 2011 - 07:45 AM

Regina? i never heard of them. where did you buy it? and how much? got a link that you can provide? thanks

Best chain I ever ever used also (ORN6) They are for sale at TT store under MSR name and RM sells them. Either place is less or close to 100 bucks

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2011 - 08:41 AM

The ORN6 is at the lower left of this page:

http://shop.thumpert...t.asp?p=522&s=2

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.