mixing pipes with exhuast?

8 replies to this topic
  • yousef1

Posted July 18, 2011 - 02:16 AM

has any one done this? can it be done? can someone upload some pics and vid of wrs with mixed pipes with exhaust and if they are better than the full system?

• motoobsession

Posted July 18, 2011 - 06:47 AM

I am not sure of your question, but I think you are speaking of mixing different headers with mufflers/mid pipes. If that is the case, stick with a full system or parts a manufacturer recommends. The dimensions of exhaust components are designed not only for fitment, but for targetted performance. FMF often has exhaust components that work with the stock equipment. I have mated a FMF power core four stroke muffler to a stock head pipe with awesome performance results. Also, I have uses a FMF PowerBomb header with a stock four stroke muffler, also with awesome results. I did check with FMF prior to those uses though, to make sure was ok.

• byggd

Posted July 18, 2011 - 09:12 AM

Stock head pipe and a FMF Q muffler work well together for me.

• yousef1

Posted July 18, 2011 - 11:48 AM

What I meant was for example: I get the fmf megabomb and I get the yoshimura muffler. Can I combine thease two companies? I know they both make great exhaust, so can't you get both to mate?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted July 18, 2011 - 12:58 PM

What I meant was for example: I get the fmf megabomb and I get the yoshimura muffler. Can I combine thease two companies? I know they both make great exhaust, so can't you get both to mate?

What is the point? You are mixing two un-knowns together. Fitment alone is an big issue. If you are curious, give it a try. Otherwise, stick to what is know to work and fit.

• 92db

Posted July 18, 2011 - 05:40 PM

What is the point? You are mixing two un-knowns together. Fitment alone is an big issue. If you are curious, give it a try. Otherwise, stick to what is know to work and fit.

Good advice. I've never understood the desire to mix and match mfgs.

• yousef1

Posted July 20, 2011 - 11:04 AM

the point is to try and make a great exhaust that will be on the bike.
i was just wondering if it could be done.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 20, 2011 - 03:13 PM

Great, as in better than what is already available?

How would one determine that?

If you want the best, buy the best. What's the best?
Every pipe co does something different, for a reason.
Follow the performance sticky to see what is preferred.

I think Dr D makes the best pipes for flat power curves and fast throttle response. But not peak power, which to me is irrelevant.

• 92db

Posted July 20, 2011 - 04:36 PM

Exhaust manufacturers build their pipes to work the best with their own mufflers and silencers.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.