Best possible forks

63 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted July 17, 2011 - 06:16 PM

So, If I were rich, what forks from what bike would fit on the '07 WR450?

I see a lot of KX450 forks, YZ250f forks, etc on fleabay............

• JDLowrance

Posted July 17, 2011 - 06:34 PM

Did you just win the lottery?

• Birdy426

Posted July 17, 2011 - 09:56 PM

From what I read, the 06 and up YZ forks, the SSS ones, are supposed to be fantastic right out of the box.

• MANIAC998

Posted July 18, 2011 - 03:39 AM

You'll probably laugh, but I'm gonna go with the Suzuki DRZ forks!!! For off-road riding/racing Conventional forks are incredible!!! They are soooooooo supple that it'll blow your mind! There buttery smooth!!! This of course, is AFTER revalving. Maniac

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 18, 2011 - 12:48 PM

You'll probably laugh, but I'm gonna go with the Suzuki DRZ forks!!! For off-road riding/racing Conventional forks are incredible!!! They are soooooooo supple that it'll blow your mind! There buttery smooth!!! This of course, is AFTER revalving. Maniac

Yeah, but no.

They cannot handle whoops worth a darn.

You can re-valve any fork to be a supple as the DRZ series KYB forks, but then they will FAIL miserably in harsh high-speed terrain.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 18, 2011 - 01:36 PM

DaveJ's Phase 4 Kits and be done with it. :p :smirk: :(

• SXP

Posted July 18, 2011 - 07:11 PM

DaveJ's Phase 4 Kits and be done with it. :p :smirk: :(

I think he's been down that road......

• MANIAC998

Posted July 18, 2011 - 07:49 PM

Krannie, I'm still going to disagree with some of your statement. There's just something about how "fluidly" conventional forks respond to trail junk compared to Inverted forks. Something that I don't believe you can ever achive with valving. That's how I feel. Your results may vary!!! Maniac

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 18, 2011 - 08:25 PM

Krannie, I'm still going to disagree with some of your statement. There's just something about how "fluidly" conventional forks respond to trail junk compared to Inverted forks. Something that I don't believe you can ever achive with valving. That's how I feel. Your results may vary!!! Maniac

It doesn't matter if a fork is USD or RSU. It's all in the damping method.
You can have damping rod, open bath, cartridge, or dual cartridge with either.
The only reason modern forks are USD is because of structural rigidity and lower weight.

You can't take a Cadillac in the desert.
You can't take a Tank on the freeway.
They both do certain things very well.
They doesn't make one of them better.

If I can find a set of YZ SSS forks for the right price, I will try them.

I see no reason not to try the very best oem, within reason.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted July 18, 2011 - 08:55 PM

Im with Manica,I run 87cr500 forks on my 07 450.There are no usd forks that ride like mine.There is no flex on usd forks thats what he is talking about.You cant take the jackhammer out of usd forks.Dont knock them if you dont know.It is not all in the damping.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bionic218

Posted July 18, 2011 - 09:03 PM

Best forks I ever had, hands down no question were the RSUs on my 1998 RM250.

The remainder of the motorcycle was a turd. Weak power, so-so components, cheap-azz hardware, etc.

But she would turn and burn (or at least turn and burp) and soak up anything you could throw at them. And because it was so underpowered it had to soak up a lot!

Great forks. The rest...eh...not so much.

• MANIAC998

Posted July 19, 2011 - 03:42 AM

Thanks guys! That's what I was trying to say. It's amazing how there seems to be no stiction in Conventional forks, they just fluidly move thru there travel. Inverted's just seem to move in a "herky jerky" manner while going thru there travel. Didn't Honda use Conventional's on there Baja machine, the XR650rr? Maniac

• GuyGraham

Posted July 19, 2011 - 04:10 AM

USD's are supposed to suffer from more stiction / friction due to stanchions becoming ever to slighty oval due to the bending moment being just below the slider, which is trying to slide into the slider

RWU forks bend just below the bottom yoke and hence don't suffer from this as the slider is 10 inches away!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 19, 2011 - 05:17 AM

Thanks guys! That's what I was trying to say. It's amazing how there seems to be no stiction in Conventional forks, they just fluidly move thru there travel. Inverted's just seem to move in a "herky jerky" manner while going thru there travel. Didn't Honda use Conventional's on there Baja machine, the XR650rr? Maniac

Yes, where suppleness is irrelevant. Those forks can be set up for MONSTER hits without flexing the rest of the time.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 19, 2011 - 05:19 AM

USD's are supposed to suffer from more stiction / friction due to stanchions becoming ever to slighty oval due to the bending moment being just below the slider, which is trying to slide into the slider

RWU forks bend just below the bottom yoke and hence don't suffer from this as the slider is 10 inches away!

Try '08+ KX450 forks sometime. Smooth as buttah. No stiction whatsoever.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 19, 2011 - 05:43 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2c5df429dc

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 19, 2011 - 05:45 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2c5df429dc

Look to beet up for my taste. Down side is once you buy those, you still have to valve and spring em.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 19, 2011 - 05:47 AM

Look to beet up for my taste. Down side is once you buy those, you still have to valve and spring em.

Yeah, I know.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 19, 2011 - 06:54 AM

I take it you didnt like DaveJ's stuff the second go around?

• Rot Box

Posted July 19, 2011 - 09:59 AM

Hmm I'm no expert, but I'm with the RSU guy's here. Maybe its the sprung weight that's easier to dampen/valve? I don't know. On the single track the 87 CR cartridge and the 96-98 Suzuki RM forks are pretty awesome. I have a set of 46mm RSU Blue Tube Paioli's that I'd like to try out as well, but they won't easily adapt to the WR or my CR I've already tried lol.

That said my favorite fork of all time is the 50mm WP Extremes that came on the late 90's KTM's and Bergs. Their trail manners are incredible--hands down the best forks I have ever ridden on by a long shot :smirk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.