stripped the oil drain plug.. now what?

28 replies to this topic
  • mgrych

Posted July 18, 2011 - 08:30 AM

Question about the helicoil, once installed you have to tap off that little tang on the end right? How do ya keep it from entering the case? Also just curious, autozone has a self tapping oil drain plug that seal to the outer portion and has a smaller removable plug on the inside. DO you think that would work or not?

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2011 - 08:55 AM

The biggest thing about Time-Serts for drain plugs in particular is that the tooling that is used to prep the hole also cuts the top surface square with the bore so the plug will seal with a minimum amount of torque applied. It's possible to install Heli-Coils far enough off axis to create leakage problems from having the plug tilted.

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2011 - 09:00 AM

Question about the helicoil, once installed you have to tap off that little tang on the end right? How do ya keep it from entering the case? Also just curious, autozone has a self tapping oil drain plug that seal to the outer portion and has a smaller removable plug on the inside. DO you think that would work or not?

Yes, the tang should be removed. Usually best to do so with a small pair of needle nose wherever possible by trying to rotate the tang CCW, causing it to snap off. You can just leave it there, too, if the coil you use is long enough to have the tang clear the bolt as it tightens.

That's another reason Time-Serts are better for this purpose; no tang to be concerned with.

• refused08

Posted July 18, 2011 - 01:04 PM

hand tight plus a little more andd good. otherwise get that heli coil up in that jawn!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mgrych

Posted July 19, 2011 - 06:09 AM

remove tang by attempting to turn it CCW? would that maybe start to turn the coil out? Maybe CW to meet more resistance?

• grayracer513

Posted July 19, 2011 - 07:26 AM

Turning the tang clockwise will tend to turn the entire coil farther in. Turning it CCW tends to expand the coil, locking it in place, at which point the tang should break off at the score mark that's at its base.

• mgrych

Posted July 19, 2011 - 01:06 PM

touche' ccw it is..

• mgrych

Posted July 19, 2011 - 07:53 PM

Ok so here's where I'm at..

Did the helicoil, everything went alright I think. I laid the bike down on some car tires with a blanket over them to get angle for the process. Used some multi purpose white grease on the bit and the tap to catch debris. Still concerned that some may have fallen into the case though.. not sure, but the possibility is there. Couldn't get the pliers in to grab the tang so I stood the bike up and used a dental pic to pull on it and caught it some by piling up some grease around it. Everything seems good, just thinking about the possibility of those shaving falling into the engine. Anyone got any idea how to maybe fix/check or basically what would you do in this situation?

Also now that all is said and done, I can't get this F-er to start now.. I tried all possible combos that were suggested in a different thread here but nothing... i'm thinking that when i laid it down flooded the carb..? I don't know about these things so any help would be appreciated.

• YZPaGuy

Posted July 20, 2011 - 08:37 AM

I just had to retap mine. What I did is cleaned out as much of the shavings as I could with a dental tool. I then completed my oil change. I rode the bike at a race for two hours and then changed my oil again. Yes the oil filter had a bunch of shavings on it. I haven't had any time to ride my bike since that oil change.

You could just leave the plug out and dump a quart of oil through it to clean out the shavings at the hole also. I should have done that but I didn't think to do it at the time. LOL

Going to put some hours on it this weekend. After 4 hours I am going to change the oil and filter again. I will check the oil filter and if there is still more shavings I will change it again in 4 hours. I will repeat this process until there are no signs of shavings.

If you want to make sure the system isn't blocked just start the motor and let it run for a few seconds and check the oil pressure bolt located on the left side of the motor up on the head. Let it run for another minute and then check it again.

I didn't do this because I was pretty confident I got most of the shavings out except some little stuff. I had to race anyway so it was either skip the race or run it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.