Black wheels

17 replies to this topic
  • Kawirider37

Posted July 16, 2011 - 12:17 PM

How do the black wheels hold up, finish wise. I ride dry desert, rocky tracks. Are they gonna pit up and look like crap after a few rides?

• ttr250dude

Posted July 16, 2011 - 03:39 PM

If you paint them they will start to chip over time.

• RiderX

Posted July 16, 2011 - 03:54 PM

The black rims on my KTM's held up well. After they get several hundred hard miles on them they will start to look rough, just keep a sharpie on hand.

• ttr250dude

Posted July 16, 2011 - 04:23 PM

Good point. I was refferring to people who paint their own rims with spray paint or whatever they use. What companies sell black rims?

• RiderX

Posted July 16, 2011 - 08:26 PM

Good point. I was refferring to people who paint their own rims with spray paint or whatever they use. What companies sell black rims?

Excel, Pro Wheel, G Force, Warp 9, just to name a few.

• Steel Panther

Posted July 16, 2011 - 08:58 PM

The stock excel on my 09 are scratch free after over a year of desert, trail, and motocross

• Kawirider37

Posted July 17, 2011 - 08:41 AM

Thanks, thats good news.

• HRC

Posted July 18, 2011 - 09:59 PM

Thanks, thats good news.

Both on my stockwheels and excel aftermarket wheels the paint scratch off were the rubber gets in contact with the rim. Just after a few rides. But I guess it's easy to just take a black pen and make it look better after washing the bike, if you like to.

• RiderX

Posted July 19, 2011 - 05:35 AM

Both on my stockwheels and excel aftermarket wheels the paint scratch off were the rubber gets in contact with the rim. Just after a few rides. But I guess it's easy to just take a black pen and make it look better after washing the bike, if you like to.

I didn't have that problem a much as others seem to. What tire pressure do you run?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted July 19, 2011 - 08:41 AM

They hold up fine and like others have mentioned I just hit them with a black sharpie ink pen every now and then.

Riding in dunes will dull them though...

• KJ790

Posted July 19, 2011 - 12:22 PM

I didn't have that problem a much as others seem to. What tire pressure do you run?

Sounds like you are running too much tire pressure. For dirt riding you are supposed to have 3-5mm of tire swipe on the rim, which will rub the colored anodize off of the rim around the edge pretty quickly.

• Ryan426

Posted July 19, 2011 - 06:46 PM

I used a black fat sharpie on my silver rims to make black. looks great!!

• RiderX

Posted July 19, 2011 - 07:21 PM

Sounds like you are running too much tire pressure. For dirt riding you are supposed to have 3-5mm of tire swipe on the rim, which will rub the colored anodize off of the rim around the edge pretty quickly.

I run 11psi. Here's one of my previous bikes with about 60 hours on it, no sharpie touch-ups on the wheels at all:

Posted Image

I used a black fat sharpie on my silver rims to make black. looks great!!

You're joking, right?

• KJ790

Posted July 20, 2011 - 02:37 AM

I run 11psi. Here's one of my previous bikes with about 60 hours on it, no sharpie touch-ups on the wheels at all:

Posted Image

You're joking, right?

Sorry, but with 60 hours of riding time at 11psi you would have a silver stripe around the edge of the rim. It is called tire swipe and it is unavoidable. Tire engineers actually measure the width of the stripe left on the rim at different pressures to help determine what the optimal pressure for each tire is.

• redswr

Posted July 20, 2011 - 02:43 AM

Posted Image

You're joking, right?

i did the Marks A Lot sharpie on mine and it turned out quite well... sand wears it quick but you just redo it in 5min

PS: yes i know that bikes clapped out...lol.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• RiderX

Posted July 20, 2011 - 07:54 AM

Sorry, but with 60 hours of riding time at 11psi you would have a silver stripe around the edge of the rim. It is called tire swipe and it is unavoidable. Tire engineers actually measure the width of the stripe left on the rim at different pressures to help determine what the optimal pressure for each tire is.

Call me a liar if you want, but it's true. 60 hours. I run 11 psi front and rear.

• Steel Panther

Posted July 20, 2011 - 09:54 AM

Call me a liar if you want, but it's true. 60 hours. I run 11 psi front and rear.

I have 45+ hours on my bike, 11-13 psi, and nothing is rubbing off. Im on my second rear tire, whch is very worn and still have no silver around the rim, even after I changed the tire.
Posted Image

• RiderX

Posted July 20, 2011 - 02:42 PM

I have 45+ hours on my bike, 11-13 psi, and nothing is rubbing off. Im on my second rear tire, whch is very worn and still have no silver around the rim, even after I changed the tire.

Mine probably starts at 11psi cold, then raises to around 13psi while riding from thermal expansion. I don't go below 11 psi for fear of pinch flats-there are rocks where I ride.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.