2010 not staying in neutral

9 replies to this topic
  • tydock88

Posted July 15, 2011 - 12:46 PM

Hi everyone,

My 2010 yz450f is really picky about getting into neutral and if I let the tire roll at all it slips into gear, anyone else have this issue?

I thought it was just because it was new but now im at about 25 hours.

Thanks

• delmas

Posted July 15, 2011 - 02:08 PM

no not ever

• 2000 xr650r

Posted July 17, 2011 - 08:39 AM

Dont dry rap the bike, it might take you for a unexpected ride.

• tech24

Posted July 17, 2011 - 04:24 PM

This only happens when its not completely in N. It is hard as are other bikes to find N unless the engine is off (except when riding and shifting to second :smirk: )

• tydock88

Posted July 17, 2011 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for your replies, it sometimes doesn't like to stay in neutral when rolling it down my driveway to load it up, it will roll about 3 feet pop into gear then I have to stop and find it again or pull in the clutch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rickallen124

Posted July 17, 2011 - 08:30 PM

I'd try to find someone at the track that has the same bike and have them check it out. Does it ever come out of any of the other gears?

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2011 - 06:58 AM

If the trans otherwise works well, inspect the shift segment ("star wheel") behind the clutch. There should be a small notch for the stopper lever (indexing arm) roller to engage in when it's in neutral, and the roller should be fairly willing to stay there.

• brentn

Posted July 18, 2011 - 05:01 PM

Check the bolt that holds the stopper make sure it's secure.

2010/11's have neutral finding issues, but it's definitely not normal for the bike to be in neutral and then pop into gear when rolling.

• tydock88

Posted July 19, 2011 - 06:29 AM

Thanks for your suggestions, I will check it out next time I change my oil. Would I be able to find what the location of this bolt in the manual?

• grayracer513

Posted July 19, 2011 - 07:30 AM

Yes. It's #8 here:

Showing it with the shift cam and forks makes it appear to be inside the crankcase, but it's actually right behind the clutch with the shift linkage.

Posted Image

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.