58 replies to this topic
  • Bryan

Posted June 04, 2001 - 11:45 AM

Sorry guys. Did I delete a HOT post? Yes. Why? Was it censorship? I don't think so.
It's only the second time I've EVER done so and I HATE doing it. Why did I do it? Because I've been getting a lot of emails asking me to do so.
I created this board to share information on dirt bikes and to have fun. Sure, I like a heated discussion. But obviously some were offended. So what else could I do? Tell those in the majority that were offended to pound sand and deal with it? Or just delete the post in hopes we can all get back to talking about dirt bikes.
Sorry if I've offended anyone. But I think I was caught in a no-win situation and dealt with it the best I could.
I'm also sorry I spend 150 bucks per month on space for this site and have folks blast me with emails complaining of censorship when I'm just trying to appease everybody. Maybe that's my problem?
My personal view? Here goes. I didn't read the entire post before deleting it. But I frankly found the picture of the guys wife amusing. However, I also have a 9 year old son that often takes his friends to ThumperTalk to show off his dad's creation. And I don't want him asking me those questions yet. I was hoping I had another few years before having to give that birds and bees lecture.
Cheers all,

• G-Man

Posted June 04, 2001 - 11:49 AM

F**K yea I'm pissed off :) because it's deleted, like Amador said what's better then a BJ after a Moto!!

The HolyRollers who like to preach and e-mailed to have it deleted should have stood up and asked it to be. Not run to Mommy, why not e-mail me, jeez I was the one who was just trying to loosen this crowd who sometimes I can't believe really ride/race dirtbikes.

Majority wanted it to be deleted, hmmmmmm makes me wonder..

Oh well I'm outa here for now, gotta go relieve some tension...

btw I DO appreciate this board and your effort, sorry for causing such a ruckus, had no idea of the Jerry Fahwell types out there.

[This message has been edited by G-Man (edited 06-04-2001).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 04, 2001 - 11:53 AM

Ahhh, so you're the one that keeps this site going! Now I know who to complain to! :) I know for one that hey, it's your site, You gotta do what you gotta do.

When in doubt, GAS IT!
What are you, YELLOW?

• Bryan

Posted June 04, 2001 - 11:55 AM

Thanks teamtoxic. Good advice.
Ironically though, that was my dealerships advice towards dealing with jetting issues with the YZ and WR. 'If you keep throttle pinned, it runs just fine with that big ole pilot and main'.
And THAT'S why I started TTalk!

• teamtoxic

Posted June 04, 2001 - 12:03 PM

<h1> :)</h1>

• slowrider

Posted June 04, 2001 - 12:08 PM

kicks your 426

just because you don't approve of what others find hilarous, save that **** for the church at first I didn't mind but since they removed the post your a complete idiot. In every dirt magazine their's some honey showing off her bod on a bike. Get used to it or get out of it

I think 426 got stuck with a fat one and is making the rest of us pay for it bounce her on down the road and enjoy life.

• Mark

Posted June 04, 2001 - 12:16 PM

Can't we all just get past this?

I remember when I had my first beer.

Let's chill before we loose our surrogate riding e-area.

• mikeolichney

Posted June 04, 2001 - 01:19 PM

Bryan: While I hate censorship and would not have deleted G-Mans post, this is YOUR site, and you have the right to do what you want with it. This site is not owned by the general public. You are the one paying the money for it, and putting the time in. I enjoy this site alot, and I hope it continues. Your point about your son is a good one. If the rest of us were kicking $$ in, it would be different (I am sure you have considered this, no?) We would and should have a say then. As it is, we are all a bunch of freeloaders, (including the censorship advocating emailers).

Do what you think is best, dont try to please YZ426kicks, G-Man, me or the emailers. I respect your decision and thank you for a great site, keep up the good work.

• dirtdad

Posted June 04, 2001 - 01:36 PM

This IS a great site Bryan, thank you! Do what you consider best to keep it that way. I'll keep coming back.

00 YZ426F
01 TT-R125L (my son's)
91 CR125
83 YZ490
74 Hodaka Super Combat(gone but not forgotten!)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 04, 2001 - 01:43 PM

wow, this seems to be alittle out of hand. But I think that if we just ignore it , it will all go away. At least that is my philosophy.

Mr. Moderator, what was the other post that you deleted. Just curious!

But overall I agree with it being your board, do what you have to.. I am happy its here, it's probably the best non work related sight that I have stumbled across. I check in every day to see whats new.

What is kinda curious to me though, after reading the posts about everybody's age, I would have guessed that we were all old enough to stay out of situations like this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 04, 2001 - 01:45 PM

wow, this seems to be alittle out of hand. But I think that if we just ignore it , it will all go away. At least that is my philosophy.

Mr. Moderator, what was the other post that you deleted. Just curious!

But overall I agree with it being your board, do what you have to.. I am happy its here, it's probably the best non work related sight that I have stumbled across. I check in every day to see whats new.

What is kinda curious to me though, after reading the posts about everybody's age, I would have guessed that we were all old enough to stay out of situations like this.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 04, 2001 - 01:47 PM

oops sorry about the double post. I got confused.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 04, 2001 - 02:13 PM

what a ruckus........
I think everyone on this site agrees that it is the best out there. We all apreciate your work and AWESOME website. THX AGAIN
But if I may ask a question?
WHY is it that a pix of something that a few find offensive and a lot find hillarious was removed but NUMEROUS religious statements are allowed to stay?
I don't mean that in a smart A. tone of voice but just concerned that one bad apple is spoiling the whole bunch and maybe religion is given a little biast here.
Just a Question.

That's not thunder ridin' your BUTT .........
It's a whole Damn HURRICANE!!!!!!

Posted June 04, 2001 - 05:31 PM

I go to the church of the great outdoors and pray to the god of speed!!!!

• forloop

Posted June 04, 2001 - 05:49 PM

This is a great site. I have learned a ton of stuff about my bike and met some nice people that I actually got to ride with.

I know there are a yonger ones that visit this site and as a parent I would not want my kids reading it either. But, it was funny.

Thanks again for the site.

01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

• Sparky_So_Cal

Posted June 04, 2001 - 09:32 PM

Interesting, If all of you are so set in stone about your beleifs, why does it offend you guys if someone closes his post w/ "God Bless" or any other positive comment. Not everybody who rides MX tosses back a 6 pack after a 15 minute moto. The sad thing about this post and today's society is that while all of you are searching for contentment in the world by buying things or finding new girls or money or stuff to occupy your time, those of us who have a personal relationship w/ OUR creator will continue to pray for your salvation and will shut off our computers knowing where we will be spending eternity and will be completly satisfied with what life hands us. If I have offended you, then I will pray for you. Just remember this, Jesus loves you and so do I!!

• Harold_in_So_Cal

Posted June 04, 2001 - 09:46 PM

I know its kind of late for this because everyone just wants to move on at this point. However! I wanted to roost my 2 cents in (actually 3 cents).

1st cent: When I saw the “Dream” post this morning, I laughed so hard I could barely contain myself at work. I really thought it was great. Daisy- the bike's prepped- the truck’s gassed- feeding food in bed- the checkered flag. I only wish I could remember more. I was even going to send a friend the site reference. Admittedly, I'm a hick but I find it very funny and probably not even an R rating for me (maybe a pg-13 or pg). Bottom line, when you laugh that hard, that's a good way to start the day. However, I lost a little joy with the heavy-handed religious reply (see cent 3). I enjoy and take some pride in the fact that racing and dirt biking have a somewhat non-pc attitude towards the glorification of women. I won’t belabor this point, but in the right context I see benefit and fun without harm. Most people know when it’s just fun vs when its uncool and they act accordingly.

2nd cent- I've met and ridden with Bryan. Level headed. Good judgement. Fun to be around. Actually pretty fast too. Bla Bla Bla (I don't want to make Bryan blush). If he deleted the message in his role as moderator I can easily chalk that up to his prerogative. Really, not that big of a deal. While this is a very cool forum and there has rarely been a need for a moderator, I think you do need someone just in case. It helps us all in the end. Also, what Bryan did is not censorship. I’m not trying to sound technical but just want to clarify. My understanding of censorship is when the government forcibly limits communication. All of this is within the scope and beauty of free enterprise. Those are two very different things. We are free to come or go as we see fit. Even if we were contributing $ to the site (which we are not) we still may have the occasional disagreement but brush it off.

3 cent- and maybe the most important. The biggest offense of the day was the knee-jerk religious response. This isn’t about limiting someone’s right to religion. This is about the inappropriate religious condemnations (stated directly or indirectly) in a non-religious environment and context (this is dirtbiking with people from all walks of life). If you have a disagreement with someone, state your problem but keep the fire and brimstone to yourself or to people who voluntarily sign up for it. It’s no more appropriate here than it would be at work. If you tried that tactic in most places of employment, your next check would probably come from somewhere else and rightfully so.

Aside from just wanting to get this off of my chest, I’m concerned about that “majority” e-mailing in and complaining. I may be off base, but this smells like a vocal “minority”. That’s it.

• yzernie

Posted June 04, 2001 - 10:26 PM

I had no idea that you personally footed the bill for this site. I wish to say thank you!! I and many others have benefitted from the wealth of knowledge departed within the site.
Regarding the issue of censorship. What Bryan did was not the issue. Some people refuse to realize that there is a time and a place for everything. This forum is NOT the place to dispense religous beliefs. There are other forums for those topics.

• Boit

Posted June 04, 2001 - 11:04 PM

Yzernie nailed it on the head...."there's a time and place for everything". Most "reasonable people" are able to determine what that is..and means. To use an anology, most guys wouldn't think twice about going to the beach with their sweetums when she wears a yellow bikini.....but, we ALL understand that a bikini is not appropriate in church. A little common sense could go a long way here.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 05, 2001 - 04:23 AM

"Harold in SoCal" Your 3rd cent was well said and Sparky what in the world does tossing back a six pack after a 15 min moto have anything to do with your religous beliefs!!
Bryan, this site is interfering with my work but I still love it!!
For all those complaining about the post Gman made, relax-take deep breath and move on!@! :)

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.