Scotts Steering Damper: Yay or Nay?

16 replies to this topic
  • Pmason718

Posted July 15, 2011 - 10:06 AM

Here I go again with the street/dirt comparisons. On my ZX10 I have a Scotts steering damper and I love it, it works miracles, lol. I've had one on my 600 and was thinking of adding one to the 2011 450F but wasn't sure. How do you guys feel about having one on your dirtbike? Does it work/help, etc? Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted July 15, 2011 - 10:35 AM

You own one, and you have to ask?

Do it. I have a Scotts on my '06, and I won't ride without it. The first time you smack a rock at an odd angle and have the front wheel deflect wildy to to one side only to come back down and center up without any fuss at all, you'll be sold.

Tell you what: take the damper off your ZX for a day, then decide.

• Pmason718

Posted July 15, 2011 - 10:44 AM

You own one, and you have to ask?

you right about that. I'm going to give Scotts a call b/c I'm pretty sure the hardware mount it diff. I'll buy just the hardware and transfer over my scotts and test it. Thanks

EDIT, Just got off the phone with a guys at Scotts and while I can use the Sportbike damper on the Dirtbike he I'm going to be riding hard MX its best that I invest in the Damper for MX. This probably will be my first mod on my new bike, lol

Edited by Pmason718, July 15, 2011 - 11:00 AM.

• RiderX

Posted July 15, 2011 - 10:59 AM

I've got one on mine. If you're riding nasty trails it's almost a must. Helps you hold your line in rough rutted lines, and keeps your shoulders in their sockets in ridiculous rocks. I can't think of one drawback to having one besides smacking your junk into it if you get thrown forward in the saddle.

• 92db

Posted July 15, 2011 - 11:05 AM

No question. YES!

• Chas_M

Posted July 15, 2011 - 01:13 PM

The street damper will work just fine although the damping circuits in the Scotts damper differ in the street vs the dirt unit. The dirt damper damps only while the bars turn away from center while the street damper damps both ways.

• phiderman

Posted July 15, 2011 - 04:43 PM

i have one on my 2010 and like it. i ride novice level mx mostly and desert during the winter. it calms the wiggle that some talk about at turn in and makes the bike hold a line great on the mx track. i bought the sub mount from BRP because it has an adjustment that lets you run the bars forward. i am just about 6 foot and i like the bar position raised up as with the sub mount.

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 16, 2011 - 03:34 AM

Here I go again with the street/dirt comparisons. On my ZX10 I have a Scotts steering damper and I love it, it works miracles, lol. I've had one on my 600 and was thinking of adding one to the 2011 450F but wasn't sure. How do you guys feel about having one on your dirtbike? Does it work/help, etc? Thanks

Resisted adding a steering damper on my '07 simply because of the high cost. Finally broke down and added one. Holy shizz what a difference in ease of ridability in ALL conditions ! Your upper body stamina is increased 10 fold ! How do you know you spent super smart money ? after spending some time with a Scotts damper, remove it for a day and ride (I did this myself) you will NEVER ride without one again.... trust me on this one ! :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2011 - 07:36 AM

...after spending some time with a Scotts damper, remove it for a day and ride (I did this myself) you will NEVER ride without one again.... trust me on this one ! :p

The ultimate test. :smirk: Works every time.

• jk322

Posted July 16, 2011 - 05:11 PM

Have one on my 2010. I love it on sandy or chopped tracks. If the suspension is right and the track is well-groomed, I can get by without it. I switch it between two bikes and sometimes forget to put it on before I get to the track. I definitely work harder without it.

Edited by jk322, July 16, 2011 - 05:12 PM.
Not finished

• thestuz

Posted July 17, 2011 - 04:02 AM

the yz450 10+ doesnt really need one. the suspension/frame alrady do a bloody good job i think

• ChillyKTM

Posted July 17, 2011 - 06:55 AM

I agree with last post < had one on my 06 and 08 and wouldn't ride without it ! BUT on my 2011 i started riding without and gota tell you its the most stable, and best turning bike ever rode .....so keeping the damper off it UNLESS i take it on high speed trail or Desert rides > No need for damper on MX Track

• Pmason718

Posted July 18, 2011 - 05:40 AM

I agree with last post < had one on my 06 and 08 and wouldn't ride without it ! BUT on my 2011 i started riding without and gota tell you its the most stable, and best turning bike ever rode .....so keeping the damper off it UNLESS i take it on high speed trail or Desert rides > No need for damper on MX Track

I want it for MX not for trails

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 19, 2011 - 03:54 AM

I want it for MX not for trails

Contrary to some's opinions, you will definately notice an advantage on the MX track as well with a Scotts, especially hard charging cross rutted straights , and downhill ruts.

• MrBlahh

Posted July 19, 2011 - 03:56 AM

it's like riding without a helmet, I wont do it

• grayracer513

Posted July 19, 2011 - 07:15 AM

The usual initial reaction people have to installing a Scotts damper is surprise and disappointment; they can't feel it "do" anything. The wheel still moves left and right freely with no detectable resistance (unless you run it all the way tight, maybe), and the bike will still hunt and weave some in deeply tracked sand and such. What they don't realize immediately is that that is a good thing, and it's not a matter of what happens as much as what doesn't happen. The bike will shrug off wheel deflections on stones and edges much better and center back up without a fuss almost by itself. All the little sand wiggles stay little with very little input from the rider.

The thing to do is ride with it for a month and then take it off. You'll put it back on in less than 15 minutes.

• SEOINAGE

Posted July 19, 2011 - 11:36 AM

Yeah that is one think i want for my bike, sadly i reached my budget limit, and did all the things I planned to do with it. Maybe in a couple years.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.