XR100 Headlight hook-up

8 replies to this topic
  • motoxracer30

Posted July 14, 2011 - 04:39 PM

Hi everyone,

I hope this fits under this thread, but i have a few questions on parts and what all they come with and what all ill need wiring wise and installation in general.

I have a 2000 XR100R that i want to put a headlight on. I know I am going to need a new stator and obviously the headlight kit. However, the kit doesnt say if it comes with wires. or if i will need anything else for it to hookup and function correctly.

here is links to the stator and the headlight kit i plan on using. (if you know of better ones to use, please help me out)

http://www.acerbis.c...&id_categoria=6

http://www.procycle....f100-xr100.html
(the stator is at the very bottom of the page)

so will i need to buy anything else or can i just buy these two things and it work out? thanks!

• ickfinger

Posted July 15, 2011 - 03:04 PM

i think you need a regulator, you should get in touch with ricky stator, think he has a lot of experience with this

• JmE

Posted July 15, 2011 - 04:40 PM

Based upon the limited information on the two website links...

I'd figure that you'll need some wire, a switch, proper connectors (two of those female bullet type for the stator connector and whatever kind you need for the light and switch), and a regulator (unless there is one included with the light).

A replacement gasket for the stator side engine cover is possible as well. I haven't put a new gasket on as of yet but probably will eventually.

That's all I can think of.

A quick email to the headlight supplier would tell you if it comes with a regulator, switch, harness, and connectors. My guess is that it probably doesn't but it's only a guess.

• theraymondguy

Posted July 15, 2011 - 04:58 PM

Uh, no.

Won't need a regulator if the bulb voltage is matched to the stator correctly; How many Z50A's did Honda sell from 1969 to 1978 with no regulator? A bunch I'd bet, not to mention the XR200R's, 250R's, 350R's and so forth and so on / not to mention that all honda's mini bikes that were road legal all used power direct from the stator to run the headlight.

A regulator will help to extend bulb life if you do like to hold the bike on rev limiter for extended periods while in neutral, otherwise... it's unnecessary.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JmE

Posted July 15, 2011 - 05:09 PM

I accidentally didn't hook up my regulator and was testing out my install. One element of my halogen bulb promptly burned out. I was nowhere near a 'rev limit' (As far as I've read, the CRF 100 CDI does NOT have a limiter)

If the revs are low, you probably don't need one. However, I found out rather quickly that it was simpler to just use a regulator.

It's an individual choice, however, a regulator makes good sense to me.

• theraymondguy

Posted July 15, 2011 - 05:21 PM

Won't need a regulator if the bulb voltage is matched to the stator correctly;

I don't disagree with you JmE, clearly though there is some mismatch between your stator output and bulb voltage. In your case a regulator is a must. Yes, the stock CDI does have a rev limiter (not that you'd ever want to hit it, there's no power advantage with a stock / mildly modified engine).

• JmE

Posted July 15, 2011 - 08:23 PM

You're probably correct, theraymondguy. It's all good. :smirk:

Without a battery, I couldn't imagine myself trying to load balance the turn signals, rear lights, horn, and headlight (all except horn and one set of turn signals were on during the incident). I always thought that older bikes without regulators used the lights to limit the current to individual bulbs (and to the battery, if so equipped). Also, when a bulb goes out, isn't their a risk of overloading the other bulbs (and battery if it has one)? On the surface, balancing such a system seems beyond my abilities so that's why I use a regulator.

Are there any major drawbacks to using a regulator? If there are, it may behoove me to consider load balancing.

*** Side note: I was using the same stator that the OP is looking to purchase and a Baja Designs headlight so the bulb to stator mismatch is likely to be similar for the OP. ***

BTW: I'm truly not arguing the point. My knowledge is minimal... I really want to know in case it might be better to lose my regulator. More importantly, it may also help the OP decide.

• socalxr

Posted July 15, 2011 - 10:10 PM

Check out Baja Designs. They have everything, that's what I run.

• theraymondguy

Posted July 16, 2011 - 05:42 AM

You're probably correct, theraymondguy. It's all good. :smirk:

Without a battery, I couldn't imagine myself trying to load balance the turn signals, rear lights, horn, and headlight (all except horn and one set of turn signals were on during the incident). I always thought that older bikes without regulators used the lights to limit the current to individual bulbs (and to the battery, if so equipped). Also, when a bulb goes out, isn't their a risk of overloading the other bulbs (and battery if it has one)? On the surface, balancing such a system seems beyond my abilities so that's why I use a regulator.

Are there any major drawbacks to using a regulator? If there are, it may behoove me to consider load balancing.

*** Side note: I was using the same stator that the OP is looking to purchase and a Baja Designs headlight so the bulb to stator mismatch is likely to be similar for the OP. ***

BTW: I'm truly not arguing the point. My knowledge is minimal... I really want to know in case it might be better to lose my regulator. More importantly, it may also help the OP decide.

Ah, only the headlamp and rear running light was powered directly by the stator, everything else (horn, turn signals, brake) was powered by a regulator / rectifier, 6 or 12V. You're 100% correct, it would be ineffective to try and balance a full system.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda CRF80F 2013 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF80F 2013
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

I need Opinion on an Issue for XR200R by vfrriderus

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 80-200
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF100F 2015 by Chris.GVS

Honda CRF100F 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

New and I bought a xr100r by 86indy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 80-200
  • Hot  55 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF80F 2014 by Chris.GVS

Honda CRF80F 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.