Oil leaked out and bike locked up, Please help!

10 replies to this topic
  • pwallnuts08

Posted July 14, 2011 - 07:00 AM

Hi guys, I have an 07 wr 450 ,I had my chain come off and smash into the case this week and put a hairline crack by the clutch lever housing. It didnt look like it was leaking but then the crack got big enough gradually for alot of the oil to leak out over the next 2 hours. I was riding down the road (maybe about 35) and the back wheel locked. The engine still kicked over fine so i filled it back up(somebody had a quart) and tried to start it, it ran fine , i wanted to get it home 5 mins down the road so i began to ride it. First gear was fine, when i went to 2nd it locked up again! so i limped home in first but then as i pulled in my road i tried 2nd again and its working fine. So i can fix the case with JB weld, i've seen it done and work well so i'll try it. But what are the chances that I didn't completely damage somethign major inside? Is it possible that things just swelled and bound up? Really appreciate any help! Thx

• MELK-MAN

Posted July 14, 2011 - 07:32 AM

no way to know till it breaks, or you open the motor. I bet JBweld will seal it up (depending on how big..pics would be nice). Try it, if it breaks well.. you will know if damage was done at that point. What do you want anyone to tell you?? If you spend money now and open it and nothing is wrong, did you waste money? Or if you don't open and it blows up next week.. what do you say then?

• pwallnuts08

Posted July 14, 2011 - 07:51 AM

Lol... I know, there's not much to be said really. I guess I'm just hoping to hear that someone had this issue before and the locking up was temporary and the bike continued to run fine after that.

• William1

Posted July 14, 2011 - 08:28 AM

Your cases are damaged. That alone is a major job to fix properly. The other damage will be apparent during the disassembly.

• pwallnuts08

Posted July 14, 2011 - 09:26 AM

Yes the case is damaged, but I'm pretty sure i can get that sealed back up. I'm just wondering what the chances are that nothing inside is permanently damaged to avoid splitting the case rite now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted July 15, 2011 - 02:58 AM

No way to tell with out checking.

Fix it right or the damage can escalate.

• miweber929

Posted July 15, 2011 - 04:11 AM

Yes the case is damaged, but I'm pretty sure i can get that sealed back up. I'm just wondering what the chances are that nothing inside is permanently damaged to avoid splitting the case rite now.

50/50

No way to tell with out checking.

Fix it right or the damage can escalate.

+1, William is wise....

So the question is: I know my bike is supposed to have oil, and it all leaked out and the transmission locked up. Did I wreck anything?

Think you answered your own question with an answer you didn't want to hear! EVERYTHING in ghat engine is designed to run in an oil bath. Once it's not there..........

Mike

• William1

Posted July 15, 2011 - 05:57 AM

People think they can JB weld something and it will be as good as new. At best, the leak will stop, at worse, the bike has next to no resale value or the 'fix' could (and according to Murphy, will) fail 10 miles in to the mountains.

I see epoxy fixes on a bike and want to walk away, I often will not even work on them because I know, every little thing is doomed to be a disaster. Epoxy repairs are a sign of not repairing/maintaining things correctly. So I expect everything to be messed up. Same bikes have stoppers where the oil drain bolt goes because they stripped that. Some sort of super adhesive on the 'reused twice' gasket. Swingset bolt holding the seat on. CS sprockets welded on. triple clamp bolts stripped oiut and SAE hardware bolts forced in. Pretzel handlebars Frikkin' nightmares.

• dgcars

Posted July 15, 2011 - 07:07 AM

JB weld is a good temporary repair. Welding is more permanent if a new case is too $$$. You seized your motor twice....that could prove to be a little costly.

• pwallnuts08

Posted July 17, 2011 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Did the jb weld this weekend but it didnt work out. It sealed the crack but the cylinder that the clutch lever goes into was too bent out of shape to seal back up. Gotta buy a new case... sucks but its probably for the better anyway. About to post to for tips on splitting a case now! Thanks again!

• wrwest

Posted July 20, 2011 - 04:10 AM

I agree with W1 JB or epoxy is a get me home only fix ! And then FIX it properly but if I look at the shocking state of some dirtbikes not all see it this way.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.