Chain Question

6 replies to this topic
  • THE CYBERDEMON

Posted July 13, 2011 - 04:25 PM

I have a 2004 wr450f, I just ordered a primary drive gold chain and steel sprocket kit form Rocky Mountain ATV using their machine filter. They sent me a non o-ring chain and I was wondering if I can use this chain or do I need to send it back for an o-ring type.
Thanks

• The Hopper Show

Posted July 13, 2011 - 04:38 PM

why would you not be able to use it?

now, if you dont want to use it is another story....

• MANIAC998

Posted July 14, 2011 - 04:25 AM

Most people believe that o-ring chains last longer than standard chains. I definately agree, and that's all my bikes ever see. However, it's your choice. Either will work. Maniac

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • THE CYBERDEMON

Posted July 14, 2011 - 06:09 AM

Thanks guys I love this forum, I asked cause I thought I remembered my uncle telling me that you should only use a regular chain on bikes that came with regular chains, and only use o-ring chains on bikes that came with o-ring chains. I just put the regular chain on, :smirk: I have to ride today, and tomorrow, and possibly the next three days after that.:p

• strtdsmallproject

Posted July 15, 2011 - 11:35 AM

I have been riding for 30 plus years and rode tons of bikes with non o ring chains. I went with a non o ring chain because they were cheap, but there is a reason. I just pulled my old xl 600 out of the woods wed for a broke chain after having to leave it for three days. I have always wore chains out before breaking, but this was a first. We do have a lot of mud and water down here in the south so i should have known. I always kept my chain lubed. I will never go back with a non o ring cheapy again.

• byggd

Posted July 18, 2011 - 09:16 AM

You paid for an O-ring chain ..... there is your answer.

• kawi380

Posted July 19, 2011 - 02:47 PM

Thanks guys I love this forum, I asked cause I thought I remembered my uncle telling me that you should only use a regular chain on bikes that came with regular chains, and only use o-ring chains on bikes that came with o-ring chains. I just put the regular chain on, :smirk: I have to ride today, and tomorrow, and possibly the next three days after that.:p

If you have a bike that came with a non o-ring chain an o-ring chain may not fit in the chain slider. I have never seen this problem only heard from others. The wr should have come with an o-ring chain from the factory, I think so you should have no problems...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.