yz450f for every day?

22 replies to this topic
  • yousef1

Posted July 13, 2011 - 04:08 PM

is the yz450f a good every day use bike? and is there a way to put a head light on it with an hid bulb?

• Yamaryder29

Posted July 13, 2011 - 05:07 PM

It depends on what kind of riding your doing every day? I love my 450 for woods and motocross racing. But, if your already thinking of putting a headlight on one, you should just but a WR450f. Unless, you already have a yz your looking at.

• RiderX

Posted July 13, 2011 - 05:15 PM

A YZ would not be a good choice for daily transportation, if that's what you're asking.

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2011 - 05:39 PM

There is, frankly, no practical way to put lights on a YZ450.

• ttr250dude

Posted July 13, 2011 - 07:51 PM

Do a search here or in the WR forum. It is possible but you have to use some WR parts like the crankshaft and stator and some other stuff. It can be done but it is labor intensive.

• yousef1

Posted July 14, 2011 - 12:27 AM

its that i was going to buy a wr450f but they sold it. then i only found some yz450f.th wr seems to be expenciv

• ttr250dude

Posted July 14, 2011 - 03:06 PM

If your gonna use it primarily for street use then I would definitely get a WR 450. It has a wider tranny ratio and it already has a headlight and tail light.

• grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2011 - 03:11 PM

What do you mostly want the bike for, and why a YZ450?

• yousef1

Posted July 14, 2011 - 05:10 PM

i want a bike for every day use [street,dirt,mud,trail,highway,crusing around,a little work,mounting a passenger for an arron,night use]
cant buy a wr450f,to expensive.
thinking of either a crf450r, yz450f, or the kawasaki kx450f 2007. then add the headlight,stator,ect.
i have a crf230f 07 and i added the headlight with stator[80wat]
i just want the head light on it nothing more.i want to put an hid bulb on the bike. cant i just put a stator,rectifier, headlight and small battery on the bike?
the crf230f dosnt come with a light only the electric start.
wouldnt it be easyer to put it on a bike that has a kick?
since the bike is bigger wouldnt it be easyer?

ps, i dont know if the kawasaki is any good compared to the yamaha or the honda

Edited by yousef1, July 14, 2011 - 05:50 PM.

• houndog426

Posted July 14, 2011 - 06:05 PM

to get the yz to the WR streetability, you might as well have bought a WR for the end price

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2011 - 07:13 PM

i want a bike for every day use [street,dirt,mud,trail,highway,crusing around,a little work,mounting a passenger for an arron,night use]

The YZ450 is not what you want. They aren't geared for extended street use, and raising the gearing makes the lower gears way too tall.

i just want the head light on it nothing more.i want to put an hid bulb on the bike. cant i just put a stator,rectifier, headlight and small battery on the bike?

You can, but the biggest stator you can get for a YZ450 will produce no more than 35w DC, and won't be reliable to run the engine. Apart from that, you can spend $1000 or so and convert to the WR elecrical system.

wouldnt it be easyer to put it on a bike that has a kick?
since the bike is bigger wouldnt it be easyer?

No, e-start bikes have more powerful electricals already, and already have a battery. The size of the engine has nothing to do with the capacity of the electrical system. The YZ450 was designed to provide ignition, and nothing else.

I suggest, for what you're talking about in the price range you want that you'd be better off with an XR400 or XR600. That, or step up to a WR.

• RiderX

Posted July 14, 2011 - 07:42 PM

Maybe a DRZ400? I don't know what's available in Nicaragua.

• grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2011 - 08:34 PM

Maybe a DRZ400? I don't know what's available in Nicaragua.

Probably a better suggestion than the XR400.

• shrubitup

Posted July 14, 2011 - 08:50 PM

At least on the YZ250F - you need to basically bolt-up an entire WR250F bottom end. Not even the YZ cases will house a WR crank, stator, ignition, and flywheel. :smirk:

• yousef1

Posted July 14, 2011 - 10:12 PM

im going to buy the bike in florida. if you guys dont recomend the yz then what about the others?

• Yamaryder29

Posted July 15, 2011 - 04:09 AM

how about a croch rocket or a real street bike. Why do people insist on using a motocross on the road? There not made for the road and by time you transform them, you've spent hundreds of dollars and they look like crap. If you want a bike for everyday use, buy a street or atleast a dual sport bike. A WR or a YZ are not road bikes.

• jaro51

Posted July 15, 2011 - 05:16 AM

Maybe a Husky TE449/511 since they are already street legal but are very capable dirt bikes. Far more capable than a DR or XR yet still come with lights and equipment for street use.

• RiderX

Posted July 15, 2011 - 06:12 AM

how about a croch rocket or a real street bike. Why do people insist on using a motocross on the road? There not made for the road and by time you transform them, you've spent hundreds of dollars and they look like crap. If you want a bike for everyday use, buy a street or atleast a dual sport bike. A WR or a YZ are not road bikes.

Probably because of this:

I happen to like the supermoto converted bikes people ride on the street, I wouldn't mind having one (I'd start with a trail bike, like a WR)

BTW the WR250X is a road bike.

There's also the XT250. Probably gutless though.

• Yamaryder29

Posted July 15, 2011 - 06:52 AM

BTW the WR250X is a road bike.

Yes, I realize the WR250X is a road bike, but that bike hasn't been mentioned once in this thread. Also, we are in the YZ450 section, not the yz/wr250 section. I assume he wants a little more power, since he's asking about the yz450f and not a 250. If it's a super motard bike your looking for, you should try asking about them in the super motor section. Here's a link: http://www.thumperta...isplay.php?f=43

• Yamiryder

Posted July 15, 2011 - 07:51 AM

yeah, you definitely don't want a motocross bike. I think a DRZ 400 would be something you would really like. You could probably get one for less money than a WR450f.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.