Road legal yz450f ??

11 replies to this topic
  • wgetty01

Posted July 13, 2011 - 01:10 PM

I want to make my 450 street legal so I can buzz around town on it. Other than register it with DMV for tags and obtain headlight/turn signals what else do i need to do to make it road-worthy? Larger sprocket? It will be around town and occasionally the 20 miles each way to a few other places at 55 mph.

Thanks!!

• Smokeslider

Posted July 13, 2011 - 03:50 PM

What year of bike?

How you gonna get this by the Oregon DMV?

• wgetty01

Posted July 14, 2011 - 07:09 AM

its a 2009....we dont have emissions laws/checks here if thats what you mean....if there are other laws then I'm not sure.

• RiderX

Posted July 14, 2011 - 07:40 AM

its a 2009....we dont have emissions laws/checks here if thats what you mean....if there are other laws then I'm not sure.

In Tx the title to a YZF reads "Off highway use only". If it's the same in Oregon, how do you get them to title it as street legal?

• SEOINAGE

Posted July 14, 2011 - 02:31 PM

where I live they just need a vin number, police officer verifies it, don't even look at the machine half the time, then you go to the dmv and htey give you plates. Pretty sure I could get my dirt bike street legal without even putting all the crap on it ahead of time.

• blueberg17

Posted July 15, 2011 - 08:43 AM

How you gonna get this by the Oregon DMV?

In Tx the title to a YZF reads "Off highway use only". If it's the same in Oregon, how do you get them to title it as street legal?

Exactly. The same is here in Oregon. Trust me, I have looked into it. Plus you're not going to like a yz gearing on the highway... a larger rear sprocket will not help; maybe a smaller one...

deja' vu:smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Steel Panther

Posted July 15, 2011 - 03:32 PM

also there are no light/stator kits made for the 06-09 yz450's that I have heard of. From what I have read on here the only way to do it is to use wr parts which will cost a lot. You would be better off buying a 400sm or an already legal bike.

• Nick450X

Posted July 17, 2011 - 07:51 AM

pro-racing in the uk have stator kit for yz450s 06-09

• sledtrash

Posted July 17, 2011 - 08:10 AM

Ok I just did a WR conversion. Wasn't hard and if you can turn a bolt and have your manual you can do it. I already had a dual sport kit so I hooked it into the WR harness. Let me state this, any after market unit provided for the YZ has had problems. I researched for over a year before I broke down and did the WR parts swap. Good luck and PM if you have any questions.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=952804

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2011 - 09:49 AM

pro-racing in the uk have stator kit for yz450s 06-09

I seen people post about having tried those and having them fail after a few hours.

• RiderX

Posted July 17, 2011 - 10:03 AM

Ok I just did a WR conversion. Wasn't hard and if you can turn a bolt and have your manual you can do it. I already had a dual sport kit so I hooked it into the WR harness. Let me state this, any after market unit provided for the YZ has had problems. I researched for over a year before I broke down and did the WR parts swap. Good luck and PM if you have any questions.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=952804

Nice work. I'd have to really think about how badly I need a headlight to go through all that, unless I was due for an overhaul anyways. Do they make headlights that will run on batteries only?

• sledtrash

Posted July 17, 2011 - 12:28 PM

Nice work. I'd have to really think about how badly I need a headlight to go through all that, unless I was due for an overhaul anyways. Do they make headlights that will run on batteries only?

Yes they do. In fact there are quite a few people on here that do that... have battery ran lighting kit's that can go for like 6hrs and then when you get home hook them up to a charger.

http://www.thumperta...ighlight=lights

the original YZ light god's thread

Edited by sledtrash, July 19, 2011 - 10:30 PM.
Found more info

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.