Overflow bottle poll

3 replies to this topic
  • Miker

Posted September 02, 2003 - 11:03 PM

I just got my new BRP home and after looking at it it seems that that bottle has to go. It would be a pain to keep that area even somewhat sano with the overflow bottle there. Do you remove yours?

• Grimmer

Posted September 03, 2003 - 06:18 AM

Left mine intacted. Most times when you bath the PIG you need to drop the skip plate anyhow. With the skid plate off the bottle is not a problem. Make sure to remove the skid plate also before you change the oil. Made that mistake once.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • irondude

Posted September 03, 2003 - 07:54 AM

Took it off. Put a 1.8 cap on the radiator. Runs great.

• loufish

Posted September 03, 2003 - 04:53 PM

I would leave it on, it's not un-normal to have a little coolant flow into the tank when the bike heats up. When the bike cools back down a little, the coolant in the tank gets "sucked" back into the radiator. Without the tank, any coolant overflowed is lost. I also don't like jacking up the coolant pressure by using a 1.8 cap, you increase pressure from 16.1 psi to 26.5 psi, that's an increase of over 50%!
Now if I could find a cap rated at lets say 1.3(19 psi)then I might feel comfortable.
I've been riding with MX bikes that have no tank, and in some tight riding, those bikes have "spit" some of their coolant, and then they are low when the bike cools off.
I've built a lot of race cars, and had coolant tanks on every one, and not just to keep coolant off the track.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.