new suspension question

10 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted June 04, 2001 - 02:01 AM

All,

I just tried out my new 426 (and I thought that I was hooked on riding BEFORE I got this bike!). I haven't been to a track yet, but on a canal bank (soft sandy and very bumpy) the wheels were dancing all over the place at only about 30-40 mph. I think that the suspension is just very stiff initially. I weigh about 160 without gear. The settings are stock at the moment (I'm sure this has something to do with it). My question is, does this get better after the suspension is broken in? Also how long did it take you guys to break in your suspension and what type of riding were you doing at the time (lots of jumps, no jumps, etc..).

Thanks!

• Scott_F

Posted June 04, 2001 - 04:26 AM

I weigh 165 and I know your pain. You need to turn the fork comp adjuster all the way out. It will take a few hours of riding for the forks to break in. Lots of big jumps and bumps will get you there faster. If/when they get too soft, crank in the comp as necessary.

Be sure to grease all the bearings.

• emcdan

Posted June 04, 2001 - 06:52 AM

Have you set the rear sag? I think the production 426 is more tuned toward a 185lb rider for my 2 cents. I would go with 5mm more rear sag before adjusting anything...Someone suggested this to me and it made a world of difference. Mine stuck to the ground alot better. I then started adjusting the compression/rebound clickers...I'm not far from stock in the rear though.

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 04, 2001 - 02:18 PM

Thanks guys, I will try both of your ideas.

BTW, how do you adjust the shock spring for the sag. Did you get a special tool from Yamaha, or do you guys adjust it with a screw driver and hammer (yikes).

• jaybird67k

Posted June 04, 2001 - 02:31 PM

Scott F,
I just had my suspension done at Pro Works Racing and according to them, on the KYB's the H&S means exactly opposite of what everyone thinks.
Turning it out will make it harsher,turning in will soften it. They say this has to do with terrain not the feel.
My suspension is working great so I trust what they say.
Let me know what you know about this.

Jason
Beaumont,Tx
# 67

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted June 04, 2001 - 09:11 PM

A long punch....(I bought a set from Sears) ..and a delicate touch with a hammer is sufficient to adjust the sag. Take your time and you won't damage the spring ring too badly.Try to position the punch 90 degrees to the ring tang and make small turns.....just enough to get the punch on the next tang. Once you round off the tang, things get more difficult, so be gentle.

• rob1980

Posted June 04, 2001 - 10:27 PM

With the pre load adj. I find it a bit easier to wind if you can take all the weight off it by lifting the back end off the ground by leaning it right over on the sidestand. Or on an alloy stand so the wheel is off the ground, so the rear shock is extended to its maximum, and less tension on the spring pushing against the adjuster.

[This message has been edited by rob1980 (edited 06-05-2001).]

• Boit

Posted June 04, 2001 - 11:18 PM

Rob: Yes, you are exactly correct. The shock preload has two rings. The top ring is a locking type ring which must be loosened first. To spin the next ring(on top of the spring), it is DEFINITELY best to take ALL the weight off the rear wheel before trying to spin this ring. Then, make sure that the top ring is cinched back down after the adjustment. I assumed that everyone knew to put the bike on a crate or similar stand. I use one of those aluminum lever/pivot stands that lifts the bike about 2 inches. Works great on level ground.

[This message has been edited by Boit (edited 06-05-2001).]

• Bill

Posted June 05, 2001 - 03:52 AM

Once the sag is set between 95-100mm's, your ready to start tunig the suspension. Go to MX-Techs web site and print their "tuning guide", take the info to the track and tune away.

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, MX-Tech suspension, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

• Boit

Posted June 05, 2001 - 04:42 AM

Bill: MX-Tech did my suspension...shock and forks. What an improvement!!!!!!!!

• Bill

Posted June 05, 2001 - 07:50 AM

Boit,

I hope so, John at MXT east is sending my suspension back today. I upgraded the bumpers to the 01 spec stops, had the springs matched to my weight and a re-valve.

If MXT's work, is any where close to their customer service, the suspension will be AWESOME :)

mcarp had his done and raves about it. He said the clickers were set when the package arrived and he has not adjusted it yet.

I can't wait, I also have new tires coming (756) and will be ready to roost, come June 15th and 16th.

Less than two weeks and the blue beasts will take over south east Pennsylvania :D

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, MX-Tech suspension, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.