going from 06-09 to a 10-12 for the trail

9 replies to this topic
  • humpness

Posted July 11, 2011 - 08:53 PM

right now i am running a 07 yz450 and i am really happy with the way it is set up for the trail. i have about 120+ hours or so on my machine and curious about the new bikes. Does it have any of the same feel or is it just a world apart? I would plan on getting the usual offroad hardware plus gytr tuner for my never ending ocd. Recent reports are not so good on these bikes and I have read that they take a different riding style than before. help me out please, its this or 350xc or 450sx.

• YamaLink

Posted July 12, 2011 - 07:02 AM

I felt the 08 made the 450 feel like a big bore 250F. The frame changes made it turn a whole heck of a lot better. Having said that, there is no replacement for a perfectly set up bike no matter the year.

• ttr250dude

Posted July 12, 2011 - 08:46 AM

I've heard that it turns more like a 2-stroke because there's less weight over the front end than other 4t. Due to the fact then the enging is tilted back.

• atropine

Posted July 13, 2011 - 10:58 AM

I started with an '02 YZ426, then went to an '06 YZ450, and now I am on a '10 YZ450. I don't ride the track, just desert. Lots of high speed sandy washes, but also a lot of loose/rocky trails and some slow-speed rocky washes. The difference between my '06 and my '10 feels about like the same leap forward in handling between my 426 and my '06 450. It is a great bike. I can feel a BIG difference with this new bike. I also have the tuner and it is nice to be able to tune for different conditions. What are the "not so good reports"? The most negative thing I have heard about his bike is the lack of top-end power. This is true, but for my abilities and riding conditions, it hasn't kept me back from anything at all. I feel like the bike has plenty of power. And if I ever get to the point that it bothers me, it is a simple bolt-on exhaust fix. Everyone says putting a proper exhaust on this bike really wakes up the top end. This bike goes exactly where I turn it, and it is very confidence-inspiring in the corners.

• tech24

Posted July 13, 2011 - 11:20 AM

You should dig through the 2010/11 offroad threads there are quite a few. I think it makes an awesome woods bike with a little work. I can't tell you how different it will feel from the bike you have but I bet the difference wouldn't be negative.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted July 13, 2011 - 03:33 PM

I started with an '02 YZ426, then went to an '06 YZ450, and now I am on a '10 YZ450. I don't ride the track, just desert. Lots of high speed sandy washes, but also a lot of loose/rocky trails and some slow-speed rocky washes. The difference between my '06 and my '10 feels about like the same leap forward in handling between my 426 and my '06 450. It is a great bike. I can feel a BIG difference with this new bike. I also have the tuner and it is nice to be able to tune for different conditions. What are the "not so good reports"? The most negative thing I have heard about his bike is the lack of top-end power. This is true, but for my abilities and riding conditions, it hasn't kept me back from anything at all. I feel like the bike has plenty of power. And if I ever get to the point that it bothers me, it is a simple bolt-on exhaust fix. Everyone says putting a proper exhaust on this bike really wakes up the top end. This bike goes exactly where I turn it, and it is very confidence-inspiring in the corners.

I still wish my 06 handled like my old 00 did in the woods... but I would like to try a 10/11 one of these days. I'm about due for an upgrade.

• RiderX

Posted July 13, 2011 - 05:46 PM

I still wish my 06 handled like my old 00 did in the woods... but I would like to try a 10/11 one of these days. I'm about due for an upgrade.

What did you like better about the 2000 426?

• humpness

Posted July 13, 2011 - 07:45 PM

does the bike feel as foreign as some people claim? i know im not making this very clear. i have heard that it is an odd duck the way it handles.

• ttr250dude

Posted July 14, 2011 - 04:56 PM

does the bike feel as foreign as some people claim? i know im not making this very clear. i have heard that it is an odd duck the way it handles.

I have never ridden one but i have heard that it kinda turns a little more like a 2t due to there being less weight on the front end.

• yzfrider1

Posted July 15, 2011 - 07:11 AM

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.