2004 wr450 light problem

4 replies to this topic
  • krakaphat

Posted July 11, 2011 - 07:14 PM

Hello guys

Not sure if i have the right spot but here goes, i have a 2004 wr 450 and i have an issue with the headlight when idling the headlight works but a little dim, it brightens up when revved however at idle with the headlight on the indicators dont work but with headlight off they do work.

Also when indicators are on when turning a corner and i give it open throttle and take it to high revs the indicator globes blow.

Does this sound like a rectifier problem, i have heard that the headlight runs off ac power, is this the same for the indicators too, i am only running dc globes could that be my problem, im not even sure you can get a H4 a/c globe.

• Swede73

Posted July 11, 2011 - 10:19 PM

The lights run off of DC power. Check all connections especially your grounds for corrosion. Bad connections can cause some very strange problems. If all connections look good then you might want to look into the regulator

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • doctorchopper

Posted July 12, 2011 - 03:21 AM

The lights run off of DC power. Check all connections especially your grounds for corrosion. Bad connections can cause some very strange problems. If all connections look good then you might want to look into the regulator

you might want to check into this a bit further, i had a 05 wr450 and i'm pretty sure the lights were a/c, the rectifier converted the a/c to d/c to charge the battery but the lights ran straight of the regulator in a/c. The reason i know this is i had a similar problem with mine in at idle it was fine but at revs it would blow the front and rear bulbs (didn't have indicators) but battery charge voltage was fine (around 13.5-14). Easiest way to check is put a meter on it and see what it's putting out

• krakaphat

Posted July 12, 2011 - 04:41 PM

ok ta, the front globe seems ok, the indicators have blown and the rear tail light, i will look into it, was just checking if the lights were dc or ac as i dont have a manual and find it hard to find one online

• Swede73

Posted July 23, 2011 - 07:46 PM

you might want to check into this a bit further, i had a 05 wr450 and i'm pretty sure the lights were a/c, the rectifier converted the a/c to d/c to charge the battery but the lights ran straight of the regulator in a/c. The reason i know this is i had a similar problem with mine in at idle it was fine but at revs it would blow the front and rear bulbs (didn't have indicators) but battery charge voltage was fine (around 13.5-14). Easiest way to check is put a meter on it and see what it's putting out

Yes you're correct they are AC. It comes straight from the magneto before the rectifier. My bad.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.