First Oil Change of Mobil 15W50 Syn after Clutch Change...Any Ideas???

7 replies to this topic
  • YZ426_Kicks

Posted June 03, 2001 - 06:41 PM

Hey Guys,

Today I changed the oil in my thumper. This was the first change since replacing the clutch with all new goodies. I did change the oil at clutch time with Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W50.

The oil came out a dirty brownish-black, and when I removed the oil filter for change, I noticed quite a bit of particle like material trapped within the filter. More than I would have liked.

When I did the clutch I looked over the exposed internals and found nothing out of the ordinary. In fact it all looked rather clean! Sorry, I don't know any other way to explain it.

Is this just waste from the meshing of new friction/fibre plates, or is something else going on here I don't know about???

This was the first time using/changing Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic.

By the way, I really like the synthetic! It is so much better than the regular mineral oils! No slippage!

Thank you!

God Bless!

Randy
YZ426 Kicks

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 03, 2001 - 07:15 PM

Kicks.........
I found that when I changed to using Synthetic Oils (Yamalube or Mobil 1) that the color seems to be darker even after only 5hrs or less.
I never let the Oil go more than 5hrs.
I didn't notice it til my friend with a
ZX-12 came over and was drinkin beer and helpin get my bike prepped for a race. He let me know right away how dark it was and asked me how long it had been since I changed oil. That particular one had only been about 3hrs and it was still dark.
Don't ever see any extraordinary amount of metal in filter though.
Maybe it is just my imagination ?
But the color is surely lookin darker than natural oils.
G4

------------------
NOPE..........BOY.......
That's not thunder ridin' your BUTT .........
It's a whole Damn HURRICANE!!!!!!

• Boit

Posted June 03, 2001 - 08:19 PM

I've been using the Bel Ray EXS oil and am just about out....switching o Mobil 1 15w50 so I'll be mindful of what you described. When I installed the Hinson basket in my 426, I got a whole bunch of metal particles initially and almost panicked. It cleared up pretty quickly and doesn't seem to have done any harm...but it still bugs me to have had that happen.Maybe I didn't clean the basket good enough after drilling out the rivets for the installation of the gear to the Hinson. I dunno.

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted June 04, 2001 - 05:02 AM

Mine always seems to come out brown. It was practically black after my new cylinder / piston break in. I also do not let it get past 5 hours. Lately it seems to be clearing up. I am presently using Golden Spectro semi syn. I will be changing over to Mobil 1 next weekend and will let you know. By the way I am waiting for a jet to come in and when it does will richen everything. It is a '99 420. I am using 180 main but will be going 185 and 50 pilot / 100 pilot air. I think it nuns slightly hot as the plug is light tan. Could the extra heat be cooking the oil?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • teamtoxic

Posted June 04, 2001 - 11:51 AM

<font color="navy">The first 3-4 times I changed the oil in my '00 426F there was a substancial amount of metal shavings in the oil filter. I believe this was because the bike was new and everything was just getting worn in.
I just replaced my clutch basket and plates and I have changed my oil once since then. I didn't notice any type of materials on the filter, and the oil was brown. (like always)

Good luck

Addendum:
I've been running Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic since I replaced the new clutch basket and plates.

------------------
~~~~~YaMaHaFoUrTwOsIx~~~~~

[This message has been edited by teamtoxic (edited 06-04-2001).]

• YZmann

Posted June 04, 2001 - 05:23 PM

Aluminum and magnesium tend to change the color of oil quicker than cast iron does. When engine is new, you also tend to pick up some manufacturing debris. We, (at least in auto industry), also add a sealant additive to initial oil (trans, etc.) to seal porosity in aluminum castings, (this caused "grabbing" in some of our transfer cases w/clutch pack), I wouldn't be surprise if Yamaha has done the same, whether or not this would effect oil color I've never checked into, (do know it was said 3 changes were needed to clear sealant out of transfer).

teamtoxic,
What took out your tube? (I know what took out microcomputer.) Just e-mail me.

YZman
'00 426; Mobil 1 tri-syn 10w-30
ZX-11 Kaw w/nitrous; Mobil 1 tri-syn 10w-30

• ktmyama

Posted February 16, 2008 - 02:56 AM

why put mobil 1 which is a automotive oil in a motorcycle which has wet clutches. the numbers and letters on the bottle of oil dont jive with the reccomendations of the manufacturer.it hasent got all the right ingredients to work with wet clutches.you lose hookup and acceleration.see mx action website.(all about oil)

• grayracer513

Posted February 16, 2008 - 08:35 AM

Why dig up a 7 year old thread?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.