Help my WR450F stopped running!

6 replies to this topic
  • wormvine

Posted July 10, 2011 - 06:13 PM

Hello,
I did a search and am still researching but any help would be much appreciated...

Just warmed her up for an afternoon ride. Fresh oil and clean air filter. Oil still in engine...
Rode for about a mile and started going uphill when the bike just died.
There is only about 500 ish miles on the bike and only about 100 when I bought it new last summer.
I checked the spark plug and I was getting a spark. Storm was coming so I didn't get to dig deeper.

Anybody have some advice on where I should look next. I am a good wrench but new to 4-stroke ignition systems.
Headlight and tail light work, fuel is flowing out of the petcock, starter ran until the battery ran down.
I also got a good run down a hill heading home and bump starting the bike did nothing. Motor sounded solid as it turned over. No rattles or grinding etc.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated...

• redhurricane

Posted July 10, 2011 - 06:23 PM

I checked the spark plug and I was getting a spark.

if so, eliminated the spark question

I also got a good run down a hill heading home and bump starting the bike did nothing. Motor sounded solid as it turned over. No rattles or grinding etc.

Given the verification of spark stated above, its my belief this is fuel related. If it still "cranked" until the battery ran down and you have spark, there's not much else keeping it from running. I would investigate fuel delivery next.

• MANIAC998

Posted July 11, 2011 - 04:01 AM

An engine only needs 4 things, Air, Fuel, Compression, & a proper timed spark. I agree with red, I think you've got a fuel delivery issue. Start there first. Maniac

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • johndeerekid

Posted July 11, 2011 - 09:59 AM

sounds like what ive been having trouble with. bike ran fine then just stopped and wouldnt start with tons of spark. ended up being dirt in the carb. i suggest taking the carb out and blowing it out with a compressor and make sure you remove and blow out each of the jets. also make sure there's no wear on the float needle because that could be an issue too. -Wes

• William1

Posted July 11, 2011 - 10:06 AM

Could be water too. Did you just wash your bike?

• wormvine

Posted July 11, 2011 - 02:47 PM

So I had a feeling as well that it might be the carb as well so I tore it apart this morning.
Last night I had a sinking feeling that I could have left something in the airbox before I put the filter back in. I had a few distractions during the install.
Throttle felt mushy as well like something was not right.

So yep, I left a blue paper shop towel in the airbox intake. Luckily it just got stuck at the carb. I guess I need to buy a plastic cover like I had for my old bike.
Ironically I put the towel there so debris wouldn't get into the intake while I was cleaning the airbox.
Put her all back together and she is running again. Thanks for the suggestions.
At least now I know how to get at the carb and spark plug.
So let me oops be a lesson.

• johndeerekid

Posted July 12, 2011 - 04:31 PM

haha yeah the airbox usually turns into a little monster that eats everything near it, especially tools:p i know that all too well. but im glad to hear it was something easy to fix. :thumbsup: -Wes

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.