Seeking advise for racing

13 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 03, 2001 - 06:15 PM

I am new to the four strokers and have a few questions on how to deal with various track conditions. First, I have a 01' 426 with a WB pipe, down one on front spocket, and suspension revalve for my weight. Do you guys clutch out of coners? I have a hard time with small rythm jumps out of tight corners. I can jump a 65' Table top with a good run, but the tight stuff is hard for me. Next, I have found that by running in second gear the compression of the motor is slowing me down, at the last practice I upshifted to third and it seemed to help. Lastly, on my start I have tried to use the bump on the back of my tech 6 boots to up shift to third so I can keep my feet closer to the ground, anyone else try that? Anyway sorry for the long question, but any advise would be appriciated. Thanks

• yz426mx

Posted June 03, 2001 - 06:56 PM

I have a 2000 426(stock).I have raced several tracks,and it works best for me to keep it in third gear and just use the clutch to corner.As far as starts,what gear do you use? i start off in second to try and keep the front wheel down.What kind of trouble are you having with the smaller jumps?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 03, 2001 - 08:15 PM

I start in second and shift into third. The problem with the small jumps is a section with four and most people roll the first two and double the last two. The entry into the section has a tight corner so you dont have a run at it. I have seen people on 426's seem to launch from a dead stop and clear 20' with no run at it. I guess thats what I am after. Thanks for the reply.

• BBRguy

Posted June 03, 2001 - 08:36 PM

Hey one thing to look for if (and when) you attempt that double outa the corner, because you will be real excited and somewhat anxcious to hit it, make sure that you (somewhat gradually) roll the throttle on. This way the tires hook up real good, dont just knock it wide open, it tends to send the enging revving, tires looking for traction. The greastest attribute of the 426/400 is its magical bottom end, come around that corner in second, take a nice smooth line through it, keep the gas on through the corner (just SOME gas, not all the way) then start to roll on the power. use that bottom end, especially the 01 426, use that bottom end, then let it scream into the top...you know what to do from there...and if ya come up short, you have that suspension, dont be afraid to use what you have... just my two cents.
-Eric

• Scott_F

Posted June 04, 2001 - 04:34 AM

Fireman, I don't know about your gearing. I recommend a 14/50 combo. With that gearing, you can easily clear a 65' jump in second gear.

Like BBRguy said, just roll on the power coming out of the turn in second gear. DO NOT clutch it. Just rev it out. These bikes will clear short approach jumps better than anything.

• MXOldtimer

Posted June 04, 2001 - 05:13 AM

Fireman

Which track do you ride, maybe someone here is familiar with that tracks turn/jump and can walk you through it.

Doug

• F-Pilot

Posted June 04, 2001 - 08:06 PM

Try to seat-bounce the jump, kinda like super preloading the suspension, you can clear alot of small stuff with out speed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted June 05, 2001 - 02:15 AM

Put me in for the question, what gear is usually required at local tracks? I usually wear boots, jeans, helmet, goggles and a long sleeve shirt, do they require more?

Thanks!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 06, 2001 - 12:33 PM

In respone the the advise and questions I ride at albany supercross in Oregon and race at Clarks Branch out of roseburg. I am going to build a short double at home and practice seat bump to get some air without the speed. Hey guys thanks again for the help it's hard for a 6'2" 230lb. guy to launch but I am determined to get there!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 06, 2001 - 01:27 PM

You'll be able to figure it out. I'm on a 99' YZ400 6'2" 225 w/o gear and I'm clearing everything at my local tracks except for when one of them has the triple linked to the track. I just don't have the balls and I don't really think I need to do it. I know I can do it though. There is a 25' double 10' out of a flat sharp corner that I do. I go into the corner super slow in 2nd cause I suck at flat cornering and as soon as I feel that I'm lined up or feel that I'll get to the lip inshape I just twist it wide open and go off the lip sitting down to help preload the suspension. It feels like I go straight up in the air with no distance but I always clear it. My hard part is the short table with a vert landing and then 2 small 20' doubles with about 10' in between followed by a 70' table with about 50' of run after the last double. Super technical stuff that requires going all the way through it in 2nd and hitting 3rd in the air at on point and holding it wide to clear the last table.

------------------
Khris
When in doubt, GAS IT!
What are you, YELLOW?
If it's dirty, I do it and think it!!

• verge

Posted June 06, 2001 - 01:43 PM

I you go to a Naional or Supercross you will often see the mechaincs replacing clutch plates between motos even on the bigger bikes. The reason is that the Pro's use thier clutch alot! You see McGrath even adjusting it in the air during the race. One of the secrets of going fast is to learn to use your clutch properly even on big 4 strokes. My lap times are much faster when i feed the clucth out of corners. After I get tired and pump up, I resort to not using it unless I have too.

• MXOldtimer

Posted June 06, 2001 - 08:59 PM

Hey Fireman, small world I race at Albany also. I was there at the last race in the Oldtimers class. Say "HI" if you happen to see me 00-426 #211 whats your #

Doug

• Bill

Posted June 07, 2001 - 02:36 AM

I flagged last weekend in a very tight corner with a table top after the corner. I wanted to study the riders and figure out how they could jump this on a thumper.

It appeared that the rider would hold the clutch in about half way, while going through and exiting the corner with the throttle pinned. I think this is how they controled wheel spin and allowed themselves to "line-up" for the jump. Once the apex of the corner had been passed and they were lined-up, with the throttle pinned, they would pop the clutch on the face and launch.

Good Luck
Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, MX-Tech suspension, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 07, 2001 - 05:20 AM

My # is 919 I was going to use 911 but they only had one package of ones. Anyway I will be at Clarks Branch this sun. and I also try to practice at albany on the wed. nights from 4pm to dark. I will look for you.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.