Tapping trail tech into stock temp sensor?

5 replies to this topic
  • brentn

Posted July 10, 2011 - 04:04 PM

I have a trail tech vapor that uses it's own coolant temp sensor that taps into the coolant line.
Seems accurate enough, but I would love to get rid of it and run just the regular hoses again and was wondering if I could use the stock sensor?

Would there be any harm in wiring the coolant temp sensor wire for the trail tech in pair with the coolant temp sensor threaded into the head of the engine on my 2010 yz450?

Appreciate any feedback

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2011 - 04:30 PM

The trouble is that you can't run two ECU's into the same sensor concurrently without running into complications. Temp sensors work by grounding a signal voltage from the ECU or digital meter through a variable resistor. You'd be faced with having to prevent one unit from seeing the signal voltage from the other.

Plus, the two units may have completely different calibration ranges that they respond to. It's theoretically possible, but not likely.

• brentn

Posted July 10, 2011 - 04:37 PM

I was thinking that there could be complications, that's why I asked.

I appreciate the reply, and you answered my question!

Do you think that it would be worth tapping into the head for another sensor for more accurate readings?
Or are the readings fairly accurate when the sensor is placed in one of the coolant lines?
I never ride the bike when temps reach 100 degree's celcius which happens in really tight stuff sometimes. I'll turn it off and wait until i go further, but it had me wondering if 100 degree's was maybe 10 degrees lower than the actual temp of the inside of the cylinder head since the sensor is placed further away?
thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2011 - 05:15 PM

Should be accurate enough. Use one the line coming from the head to the top of the radiators. That's the uncooled temperature.

No reason to stop at 100 ℃ (212 ℉). Your 50/50 coolant mix under a 1.1 bar cap won't boil until around 132 ℃ (270 ℉)

• brentn

Posted July 10, 2011 - 05:17 PM

I was thinking head gasket damage past 100 degree's, but obviously I'm being too cautious. What's the limit for coolant temp to where you can get head gasket damage?

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2011 - 06:37 PM

Boiling. Once boiling sets in, the coolant can't cool any more because it isn't a liquid.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.