2008 yz450f known problems???

7 replies to this topic
  • moto116moto

Posted July 10, 2011 - 01:12 PM

Hi, I just purchased a 2008 yz450f with extremely low hours, around 5 or 6 hrs. I was just wondering if there is anything I should be watching for as far as reliability issues. I was told that the 2008's have some cam chain problems or cam chain tensioner problems, does anyone know anything about this?

Also, how would I know if my bike jumped a tooth on the timing? Would it be hard to start? Backfiring? Running rough?

Also if you have any tips or advice, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

• Gunner354

Posted July 10, 2011 - 04:09 PM

Hi, I just purchased a 2008 yz450f with extremely low hours, around 5 or 6 hrs. I was just wondering if there is anything I should be watching for as far as reliability issues. I was told that the 2008's have some cam chain problems or cam chain tensioner problems, does anyone know anything about this?

Also, how would I know if my bike jumped a tooth on the timing? Would it be hard to start? Backfiring? Running rough?

Also if you have any tips or advice, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Keep the air cleaner clean and oiled with either maxima or belray.
Use a high quality true synthetic oil.
Install a Rekluse Pro, 06 yz cdi, woods high bars.

• RiderX

Posted July 10, 2011 - 06:52 PM

Keep the air cleaner clean and oiled with either maxima or belray.
Use a high quality true synthetic oil.
Install a Rekluse Pro, 06 yz cdi, woods high bars.

None of that answered the O.P's question.

Here's a thread with some good info on the cam chain issue:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=829353

I believe typically when a YZ jumps time it's the intake cam jumping a tooth retarded, which would make it run badly, especially at high rpm's. Usually this is caused by a kinked cam chain, believed to be from a run of cam chains that were less than par in quality. You might replace the cam chain as a precautionary measure, but if the bike truly has only 5 or 6 hours, it's probably safe to say it's ok at this point.

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2011 - 06:59 PM

I believe typically when a YZ jumps time it's the intake cam jumping a tooth retarded, which would make it run badly, especially at high rpm's. Usually this is caused by a kinked cam chain, believed to be from a run of cam chains that were less than par in quality. You might replace the cam chain as a precautionary measure, but if the bike truly has only 5 or 6 hours, it's probably safe to say it's ok at this point.

It can be either cam or both that jump. Ordinarily, they won't even run with a cam slipped out, but if they do, they run very poorly.

Unless the PO already replaced his, just figure $65 for a chain and tensioner into your budget.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gunner354

Posted July 10, 2011 - 08:27 PM

None of that answered the O.P's question.

Here's a thread with some good info on the cam chain issue:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=829353

I believe he asked for any tips or advise.

• moto116moto

Posted July 11, 2011 - 06:02 AM

It can be either cam or both that jump. Ordinarily, they won't even run with a cam slipped out, but if they do, they run very poorly.

Unless the PO already replaced his, just figure $65 for a chain and tensioner into your budget.

So when should I replace the cam chain and cam chain tensioner? Around 50 hours? THanks for all the help!

• grayracer513

Posted July 11, 2011 - 06:48 AM

Immediately after buying it, and once a year thereafter.

• Family Man

Posted July 11, 2011 - 08:43 AM

the oem cam chain is under 20bucks. Ive replaced mine once in four years and I have massive hours on my bike, 07. The 08 is a solid bike but i think the 08s had iffy cam chain record.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.