426f question

5 replies to this topic
  • Stinger1133

Posted July 10, 2011 - 07:58 AM

I just bought a 2000 yz426f. I remember seeing on here somewhere a thread for putting the 426f engine in an aluminum frame a long time ago. Does anyone know if this thread still exists ? I have searched everywhere but can not find it. I have my bike stripped down and want to buy an aluminum frame on fleabay. Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2011 - 08:18 AM

It's a lot of work, and you'd need to use a wet sump kit for the engine (which I adamantly recommend against doing) or build an external oil tank, just for starters. You can save as much weight by using a frame from an '03-'05 YZ450 and have fewer problems to work out.

• Stinger1133

Posted July 10, 2011 - 08:21 AM

I didnt know that would work. That sounds good. This is my first 4stroke and got a really good deal on it but it needs work. Engine runs really strong and transmission shifts really smooth. I will look into the 450 frames and see what I can find. Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • QuietFlight

Posted July 10, 2011 - 08:30 AM

but it needs work. Engine runs really strong and transmission shifts really smooth..

how much work could it need?

• Stinger1133

Posted July 10, 2011 - 08:57 AM

On the bottom of the engine the oil drain plug is cracked and has been jb welded. The rear shock is shot and leaking oil everywhere. The front forks are for a 250lbs rider I think because they are really stiff. the rear wheel spokes are all loose and the wheel wobles. Thats really about it. I am thinking of getting a set of good used cases from ebay and fixing the cracked plug issue. I am going to get the rear shock redone. The front forks I can do here. As for the wheels, I will probably get new ones. I will post some pics of the cracked part of the engine.

• Stinger1133

Posted July 10, 2011 - 09:12 AM

Here is a pic of the cracked case that has been jb welded.

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.