YZF 450 Stiff Gearbox & Clutch Drag Help!

4 replies to this topic
  • Nova_Spider

Posted July 10, 2011 - 02:41 AM

Hope someone can help?....

I recently bought a 2006 450 although it was running I couldnt ride it as there where parts missing. Replaced the missing parts and took it out only to find it was loosing water into the grearbox, clutch has loads of drag and is very stiff changing gear although they are all there and don't slip.

So I've given it a quick top end rebuild, new rings and gaskets etc so thats fixed the water leaking and presurising but the clutch is still dragging and the gears are still stiff. I was thinking it might of been because there's been a lot of water in the gearbox? Also the clutch basket looks fine.

Any idea's?
I was going to put a few hrs on it see if it gets any better?

Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2011 - 07:57 AM

First, be advised that any coolant that went in the trans went in the engine; it's all one oil supply.

The first thing I would do would be to replace the friction plates in the clutch (don't use a cheap aftermarket plate set; you won't like it). Coolant is tough on a lot of things, and one of those is the clutch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • intensem1rider

Posted July 10, 2011 - 08:01 AM

If there was water/coolant in the engine for a while, theres a good chance bearings pitted from a little rust. The ones you will notice the most are the 2 supporting the shift drum. The rest of the bearings in the motor spin at such a high speed they wont be noticed unless they seize.

• Nova_Spider

Posted July 10, 2011 - 08:51 AM

Thanks guys! I'll be on it all next weekend so will see if anything changes.

Could it be a bent fork or shift drum?

Also, what oil do you guys run?
I've put 10W40 semi synthetic in it and dont have any probs with my 2004 YZF or my sons YZ85.

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2011 - 10:53 AM

Could it be a bent fork or shift drum?

No.

Also, what oil do you guys run?
I've put 10W40 semi synthetic in it and dont have any probs with my 2004 YZF or my sons YZ85.

Amsoil MCF or Mobil 1 Racing 4T.

http://www.thumperta...432#post2685432

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.