Rekluse EXP 2.0 vs Core EXP YZ450

14 replies to this topic
  • Thesolidman1

Posted July 08, 2011 - 11:05 PM

Hi, I been wanting a Core EXP for my 2006 YZ450 for a while but haven't been able to pull it off due to the cost. Now I see they have the EXP 2.0 (internals only) for about half the price. Does anybody have experience with the new lower cost version? Any downsides when compared to the full Core EXP? Thanks

• dalonar

Posted July 09, 2011 - 06:13 AM

the downside is you lose a friction plate making the clutch pack less robust, general riding this probally wouldn't be a problem but for most yz power i don't think i'd want to go with a smaller clutch, go with a zstart pro, they are simple to install and work almost the same as the core

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 09, 2011 - 06:20 AM

I have the Dyna ring, not the rekluse 2.0. Its the same design though... remove two fibers and a steel plate.

It works just fine for offroad. It will handle the power just fine.

I've owned several rekluse pro. The difference will be in the feel at the clutch lever. At idle, the rekluse pro will be loose. The Exp 2.0 will be stiffer. When running at rpm's above idle, both feel kinda normal.

Make a decision based on how you want that clutch lever to feel. But then again, you won't be using it nearly as much.

• Moscow Roost

Posted July 16, 2011 - 07:24 PM

I have an EXP2.0 installed in my 09 YZ450F and totally love it. I don't plan to ride without one ever again. It makes riding tight single track, steep rocky uphills and muddy terrain effortless...heck..it makes it all easy! I'm 5'7" and bought the unit mainly for it's anti-stall feature, but have found it most useful in lots of situations. I've had mine for 2 months and haven't stalled once, saving me and my bike from countless slow speed tip-overs due to my short legs.

If you aren't hard on your clutches and don't hammer the crap out of them, get the EXP 2.0, otherwise get the Core EXP. I rode the Z-Start Pro and didn't like it as well as my cheaper alternative.

• Gunner354

Posted July 16, 2011 - 08:01 PM

I use the Pro on all my bikes and all of them work flawlessly when properly installed.

• waukee

Posted July 19, 2011 - 06:45 AM

I tried the EXP with stock clutch and I was able to stall the bike sometimes, also for starts I could not feather the clutch out the bike would want to take off if the clutch was not all the way in. Called Rekluse and they said the Core EXP would fix these problems and that it has more adjustments. I don't see how it would fix these issues when the Core is the same thing just with Rekluse clutches?

• Gunner354

Posted July 19, 2011 - 07:48 AM

I tried the EXP with stock clutch and I was able to stall the bike sometimes, also for starts I could not feather the clutch out the bike would want to take off if the clutch was not all the way in. Called Rekluse and they said the Core EXP would fix these problems and that it has more adjustments. I don't see how it would fix these issues when the Core is the same thing just with Rekluse clutches?

Sounds like you need to read your post again. The Core is a higher end version with more adjustments. Rekluse tech support is the best.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • johnny6speed

Posted July 20, 2011 - 05:24 AM

I have an EXP2.0 installed in my 09 YZ450F and totally love it. I don't plan to ride without one ever again. It makes riding tight single track, steep rocky uphills and muddy terrain effortless...heck..it makes it all easy! I'm 5'7" and bought the unit mainly for it's anti-stall feature, but have found it most useful in lots of situations. I've had mine for 2 months and haven't stalled once, saving me and my bike from countless slow speed tip-overs due to my short legs.

If you aren't hard on your clutches and don't hammer the crap out of them, get the EXP 2.0, otherwise get the Core EXP. I rode the Z-Start Pro and didn't like it as well as my cheaper alternative.

How could you be hard on your clutch if you have the EXP 2.0? Blips of the clutch for log crossings? Corner exit boost??

• Moscow Roost

Posted July 20, 2011 - 06:39 AM

That was a quote I got from talking to the guys at Rekluse. They asked if I had notches in my basket or have had to rebuild my clutches very often and my answer was no. Since I am fairly easy on my clutches and don't abuse them, the stock basket, pressure plate & cover weren't necessary needed. The Core EXP comes with all billet components that are supposed to be more durable, especially for those who hammer the crud out of their clutches like racers and such. I believe that popping your clutch with the rpms up and excessive feathering/ slipping the clutch is what they mean by being hard on a clutch.

Although I have a little stiffer clutch pull than with the stock components, the benefits of the EXP 2.0 make the product one of the best investments I have made to date. When and if I finally burn my clutch up in a few years, I'll probably replace the whole clutch with the Core EXP just for the heck of it.

• johnny6speed

Posted July 20, 2011 - 06:52 AM

Excellent info thanks Moscow Roost!

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2011 - 07:07 AM

The primary problem with the EXP vs. the Core EXP is that the EXP takes a pair of plates out of the already shortened '07 and later clutch plate stack. If you use the power of the bike to nearly its full potential in good traction conditions, this can simply end up being more than the reduced clutch stack can deal with, and you end up with short clutch life.

The Core keeps a full set of plates by supplying a boss and basket with enough room for a full plate set plus the expansion ring, which is why it also comes with a deeper cover for clearance. It's much more durable.

As far as I'm concerned, unless you're hung up on the idea of having a clutch that feels reasonably normal, the Z-Start Pro is a better choice that either of those as an off-road clutch.

• dalonar

Posted July 20, 2011 - 12:54 PM

i don't understand the "have to have normal clutch feel". it took me about 32 seconds to figure out the zstart pro "clutch feel". pretty simple at idle its really different and with little rpms the clutch comes back

• Gunner354

Posted July 20, 2011 - 02:30 PM

i don't understand the "have to have normal clutch feel". it took me about 32 seconds to figure out the zstart pro "clutch feel". pretty simple at idle its really different and with little rpms the clutch comes back

I agree 100%

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2011 - 03:37 PM

Even at speed, it's extremely light, and a good many MX racers prefer the Core, or object to the ZSPro on that basis.

• Thesolidman1

Posted July 24, 2011 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for all the input. One thing I learned from it is that the '06 has one more clutch plate than the later models. My bike is an '06. Seems to me that since it has the extra plate, the loss of a plate with the EXP won't be as critical. I'm leaning toward EXP 2.0...Thanks again

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.