Bike won't run properly after oil change.

65 replies to this topic
  • Fabulous

Posted July 11, 2011 - 05:36 PM

You think the bike not wanting to idle has something to do with the timing? I got the bike to start yesterday, and it ran fine, just wouldn't idle and would flame out without throttle.

• Valkrider15

Posted July 11, 2011 - 05:40 PM

No. I just make shit up and post it for fun. :banana:

I had to laugh at this!! Good one!! :thumbsup: :ride: :ride:

• Fabulous

Posted July 11, 2011 - 07:55 PM

Seeing as I'm a stuborn kinda guy, I went out to drain my carb again and used my hand to lightly turn the engine over. It actually felt like it wanted to start once or twice like this. Guess I'll have to wait for my ankle to heal as my wife didn't think her trying to kick it over was a great idea after twisting my ankle :thumbsup:

• Fabulous

Posted July 12, 2011 - 06:37 AM

Grey, do you think a new spark plug would also be a good idea?

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2011 - 07:03 AM

Maybe. What kind is yours and what does it look like?

• AJMAG247

Posted July 12, 2011 - 07:05 AM

if you changed your oil filter, make sure you didnt put it in backwards...

• jimrick

Posted July 12, 2011 - 07:23 AM

Ah yes-sportster leg syndrome.I had a sp 370 that used to love me that way.

• Fabulous

Posted July 12, 2011 - 07:38 AM

I did indeed clean my Scotts oil filter...pretty sure it went in correctly. What would it do if put in incorrectly? I'll double check. I'll also check my spark plug as well- pretty sure it is the stock one that came with the bike. Original owner owned the bike for 5 months and put very little hours on it. I have only put 18.5 on the bike myself...

• AJMAG247

Posted July 12, 2011 - 07:41 AM

iv seen my buddies kxf blow up at MTF do to putting an oil filter in backwards.. it ran like crap, didnt idle and eventually blew and ruined his week, just something to double check and make sure is in right

• Fabulous

Posted July 12, 2011 - 07:44 AM

I'm almost certain I put it with the open end facing out to match up with the stock cover... I'll check when I get home.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2011 - 08:08 AM

If you have the stock oil filter cover, and you are not an inattentive, mind numbed gorilla, I really don't see how it's even possible to install the oil filter backward. Because of the extended tab on the inside of the cover, the cover would stand off of the case a good 12mm or so if the tab doesn't go in the center hole of the filter, and almost anyone with two matching pieces of a brain would see that there was something about that wasn't quite right.

With a stock cover, assuming it actually was installed with the filter backward, the filter element would be crushed, an oil would simply flow around it through the gap created by the tab against the filter end plate, and everything would be fine except you basically would not have a filter. It would have no effect whatsoever on how the engine would run.

OTOH, with the Ready Racing filter cover (identifiable by a big raised R on the cover), there is no tab to prevent one from inverting the filter, and with this cover, it can be installed backward. Still won't affect how the engine runs, at least not directly. It would, however, restrict or possibly completely block off the flow of oil into the engine, and that of course, is not good.

• AJMAG247

Posted July 12, 2011 - 08:20 AM

If you have the stock oil filter cover, and you are not an inattentive, mind numbed gorilla, I really don't see how it's even possible to install the oil filter backward. Because of the extended tab on the inside of the cover, the cover would stand off of the case a good 12mm or so if the tab doesn't go in the center hole of the filter, and almost anyone with two matching pieces of a brain would see that there was something about that wasn't quite right.

With a stock cover, assuming it actually was installed with the filter backward, the filter element would be crushed, an oil would simply flow around it through the gap created by the tab against the filter end plate, and everything would be fine except you basically would not have a filter. It would have no effect whatsoever on how the engine would run.

OTOH, with the Ready Racing filter cover (identifiable by a big raised R on the cover), there is no tab to prevent one from inverting the filter, and with this cover, it can be installed backward. Still won't affect how the engine runs, at least not directly. It would, however, restrict or possibly completely block off the flow of oil into the engine, and that of course, is not good.

im just writing what iv seen man, my bad :thumbsup:

• Eric@ScottsPerformance

Posted July 12, 2011 - 10:15 AM

Just out of curiosity, is the fuel screw still in the bike?
Thanks-
Eric

• Fabulous

Posted July 12, 2011 - 10:50 AM

Yes sir. I have a Merge fuel screw and have it at 1.5 turns out from fully seated. I think what I'm gonna do is pull off the seat, tank, subframe and just replace the plug, and clean out my carb/ jets and refill with fresh fuel. I really hope that it is just something simple and not the timing or valves. I'm also going to check my GYTR flywheel weight I added about two months ago and make sure it hasn't loosened up. This is all new and a pain in the butt for me as the bike always runs amazing...starts first or second kick all the time.

• Fabulous

Posted July 12, 2011 - 08:32 PM

Well, I replaced the spark plug (which was black) and pulled out all the jets (45 pilot, 160 main, plus stock starter and the other little one in the bowl) They all looked like new. Oil filter is in correctly and looks fine. I also drained all the gas and will put fresh in tomorrow...hope that does the trick. I will also make sure my flywheel weight hasn't come loose either. Wish me luck.

• YZPaGuy

Posted July 13, 2011 - 06:17 PM

This is all new and a pain in the butt for me as the bike always runs amazing...starts first or second kick all the time.

Well there is your problem, just kick it 500 more times so you catch up with the rest of us and it will start working fine! :smirk:

• Fabulous

Posted July 14, 2011 - 06:24 AM

I took a look at the GYTR flywheel I installed and everything looked fine. Woodruff key was there and hadn't shifted of anything. I'm gonna put some fresh gas in it tonight and see if she'll start if my ankle is up to it...

• Fabulous

Posted July 15, 2011 - 02:30 PM

I've just about had it with this F-ing bike! I checked my flywheel to see if it's on correct with the woodruff key, new plug, drained the carb and pulled the jets, put a fresh air filter on, drained my tank and put fresh gas in it...still no go. Only starts up but won't idle?! I tried pulling the cam cover off this morning to have a look at my timing, but the gasket was stuck to the cover, and it was impossible to get the cover off with the gasket stuck to it...didn't want to try to force anything. I was able ti get it to TDC, and looked at the chain and counted 13 pins between the dots, and the lobes on the other side looked fine. I just don't get it...makes me want to drive this thing into a frigging wall. Anyone else have any ideas because I could really use some right now...

Thanks.

• crf450319

Posted July 15, 2011 - 06:54 PM

Okay, just a couple shots in the dark here.

What about pulling the petcock out of the gas tank and making sure the screen isn't plugged ?

What about playing with your fuel screw a little ? Try 1.0 turns out, try 2.0, 2.5, 3. And if you do that, is there any appreciable difference ? Of course if you're on the high end of the scale you may need a different pilot jet.

I'd want to make sure the timing is correct and the cam chain hasn't jumped, then on top of that check your clearances.

Did you have the carb apart and get the cover on the slide back in the right position ? What about the idle adjust screw, is the cable still in one piece & where is it set ?

• Fabulous

Posted July 15, 2011 - 08:02 PM

I tried to take the cam cover off completly, but the gasket was like glued to the cover, and when I tried to peel it off, it seemed as though it wanted to rip, so I didn't want to force it. Also, it seemed like there isn't enough room to get the cover off even with the head stay taken off...any tips or hints on the best way to get this damn thing off? I'm a former 2 stroke guy, and everything was so much easier to do on them. I will check the petcock and see, but it is a new WR unit I put on a couple months ago with my IMS tank...should be fine no? The one thing is I've been playing with my idle adjustment screw a lot, and now I don't know where it is in terms of the norm or stock...may be way out or in from where it was. When I got the bike to TDC I was able to look at the cam lobes and chain and they seemed normal. It's just so weird because just prior to the oil change and wash the bike ran like a top...I don't get it. I feel like I should just take it to the dealer to look at, but they will just rape me at $125 an hour. I was really digging the choice of getting a 450 over a 250 two stroke, but now I feel like maybe I made the wrong choice...

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.