What Does Detonation Sound Like?

23 replies to this topic
  • i_wheelie_longer

Posted July 08, 2011 - 07:31 AM

I am embarrassed to ask this question, but what exactly does detonation sound like? Everyone says it sounds like a pinging noise, but I have a hard time deciphering whether its just the normal pinging of a 2-stroke engine or if I am ever getting detonation. I have tried 112 octane gas and my engine sounds no different than when I'm running 93 pump gas, so I'm assuming I am not getting any detonation. Anybody care to post a video as an example?? I don't want to keep buying race gas if it's not needed.

Thanks

• JFielder23

Posted July 08, 2011 - 08:43 AM

I can't answer this with much certainty... but I have heard people say that it sounds like a rattling noise on acceleration.

• usernamemx

Posted July 08, 2011 - 08:49 AM

If its a stock bike then you don't need race gas,with the exception of one or two years of kx's I think that came w too much compression from the factory but I believe that was mid or early 90's,plus I think it was only 250's.I have a 04 yz 250 and use 93 octane 40:1

• usernamemx

Posted July 08, 2011 - 08:55 AM

I can't answer this with much certainty... but I have heard people say that it sounds like a rattling noise on acceleration.

I agree w this. I've heard it from the side of a track on a 95 cr 125 a while back, when it happend my friend said it wouldn't excelerate as fast when it hapened, but I think that was a serious case. It was really obviousthough.
When it's only an occasional knock it sounds like there is a little gremlin in your cylinder hitting it w a hammer if it's continuos like my friends the gremlin was hitting it really fast

• etuke

Posted July 08, 2011 - 12:13 PM

like a hammer tapping the engine,thats what I had with the timing too far advanced.It would happen under load for me like fourth gear accelerating

• busted bones

Posted July 08, 2011 - 12:24 PM

When my bike was pinging it sounded like a metallic ring that only happened at a certain RPM. Theres the regular ping then kinda sputtering down then another ping when youre at idle but this is constant and it definitely has a sound all its own. Almost like glass scraping against metal.

• Valkrider15

Posted July 08, 2011 - 03:44 PM

When my bike was pinging it sounded like a metallic ring that only happened at a certain RPM. Theres the regular ping then kinda sputtering down then another ping when youre at idle but this is constant and it definitely has a sound all its own. Almost like glass scraping against metal.

This is a good description. I think it also kinda sounds like a spoon stuck in the garbage disposal - Very noticable and very different than regular motor noises. Mine was detonating at 1/8 throttle under light load and good under more throttle. Working on clip position to fix it.

• USED YZ426F

Posted July 08, 2011 - 05:41 PM

Go buy yourself an '82 YZ490. Fire that mother up with the highest grade pump gas you can find, and drop the hammer.

You will know what detonation sounds like.

Otherwise, think of a loose nut banging around inside your cylinder when running under load. A metallic rattling sound that gets worse the harder the engine is working.

If your engine is stock, you don't need race gas. Premium pump gas and a quality premix will do just fine.

You would only need race gas if your engine is seriously built up. Even then, I would highly recommend you speak with the engine builder to hear what they recommend.

• i_wheelie_longer

Posted July 08, 2011 - 05:49 PM

Okay great, thanks for the detailed responses. It seems like it would be quite obvious if I was experiencing detonation, and I have not heard anything unusual. Just what I was hoping for.

• scalejockey

Posted July 08, 2011 - 07:44 PM

For the younger folks....Almost like a dry chain slapping on a hardened Honda 450R chain guide. ...but at a faster rate.

For the older fats.... As described..."A YZ490"!!

• Street_Kleaver

Posted July 09, 2011 - 02:15 AM

Like too many empty beer bottles on the floor of your car rattling when you go over bumps. "Clink clinkle clink"

:thumbsup:

• pontiac252

Posted July 09, 2011 - 02:39 AM

Some people say "Oh that's just chain slap" at low to mid rpm.
But it's not.

• Greg Y

Posted July 09, 2011 - 09:59 AM

It sounds like a bucket of silver dollars getting vacuumed out of your wallet.

• Valkrider15

Posted July 09, 2011 - 11:12 AM

It sounds like a bucket of silver dollars getting vacuumed out of your wallet.

HA! So Very True in So Many Ways!! :thumbsup:

• LILBIT

Posted July 09, 2011 - 07:08 PM

Bad=marbles rattling around in the jug

Mild=more of a pinging noise

• RCannon

Posted July 10, 2011 - 06:08 AM

I always pictured it as a ball-peen hammer tapping the top of the head. It sounds like metal to metal contact more so that grinding. Its also one of those things......if you THINK you hear it, you are hearing it..

• Johnny_On_The_Spot

Posted July 10, 2011 - 09:12 AM

Like a bunch of pennies are rattling around in your engine

• argclh6670

Posted May 29, 2013 - 06:53 PM

Like too many empty beer bottles on the floor of your car rattling when you go over bumps. "Clink clinkle clink"

:thumbsup:

Hahaha....

• adam8781

Posted May 29, 2013 - 08:59 PM

try mixing in a bit of race fuel to see if it stops, if you go 50/50 pump and race and it goes away, its detonation, if it doesnt than its a normal engine sound

• 1dunc

Posted May 30, 2013 - 09:24 AM

I have been running 1/4 race gas and that keeps it quiet. But is a needle position change able to cure this??
It's an 06 with V3 reeds and run excellent.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

06 yz125 won't start by 06yz125rider

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

bike for female rider? by rhii108

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

brand new bike hell 2012 yz 250 by azyz250

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ250 2013 by MXRider72

Yamaha YZ250 2013
  • 3 reviews
  • Last review by kb26racer
  • On July 10, 2014
Forums
Photo

Apparently this is the 2015 yz250 by Red Dirt Ryan

• Hot  61 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.