New to Forum/and offroading

6 replies to this topic
  • 2k1yz426

Posted July 07, 2011 - 06:52 AM

Hows it going everyone, just wanted to start a new thread introducing myself. I just bought (impulse buy) a 2001 YZ426f and so far im loving it. i have never owned a dirtbike but have had 2 street bikes (sv650 and sv1000s).

Posted Image

Posted Image

walked away paying 1100$ and i got the hutch hauler free of charge. t

its got a bunch of upgrades on it
- Carbon brake pads
- Protaper bars (sort of bent)
-excel wheels
-dr.d exhaust
-renthal chain/sprockets
- factory connection suspension

i dont know much about the bikes history, but i do know it was a back up race bike. the day i brought it home i changed the oil and the antifreeze. the guy at my local dealer told me to buy Honda10w-40, and i purchased some EngineIce since i only ride it in the woods and ive read it likes to over heat easily.

its not as horrible as everyone claim to start it...but it can get frustrating at times. in the past week ive put about 8 solid hours on it, and i love it.

i dont really have any specific questions but if anyone has some "pro"tips and things i should do to it let me know.

:thumbsup:

• 2k1yz426

Posted July 07, 2011 - 07:08 AM

actually i have one question.

if im moving along pretty fast in any gear higher then 2nd, and as i get off the throttle the exhaust will pop.

the gas im using is 93 octane and its fresh. is the bike running to lean? and will the poping cause harm to the engine?

• grayracer513

Posted July 07, 2011 - 07:15 AM

The only possible harm is to the muffler, and then only if it's really excessive. Some decel popping is normal when properly jetted. If it never pops, it's probably too rich. Before looking into the idle mixture, always check for air leaks in the exhaust.

http://www.thumperta...599#post3710599

When using Honda HP4 oil, be sure to use only the JASO MA oil. They have one in JASO MB for CRF engines only, and that one will cause clutch trouble.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2k1yz426

Posted July 07, 2011 - 07:23 AM

The only possible harm is to the muffler, and then only if it's really excessive. Some decel popping is normal when properly jetted. If it never pops, it's probably too rich. Before looking into the idle mixture, always check for air leaks in the exhaust.

http://www.thumperta...599#post3710599

When using Honda HP4 oil, be sure to use only the JASO MA oil. They have one in JASO MB for CRF engines only, and that one will cause clutch trouble.

thank you for the response, i will double check which oil i bought when i get home from work.

also is this a common problem?

when you to kick start it, sometimes the kickstart arm does not budge. i have to roll the bike back and forth a little bit and then i can usually kick it with very little effort. but sometimes its just "stuck". this is while im holding the Decomp lever or if im not holding it. im asumming that its not a thing to worry about since when the arm moves, it moves smoothly and has little to no resistance

im pretty sure this is the oil that i bought.
Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted July 07, 2011 - 07:51 AM

when you to kick start it, sometimes the kickstart arm does not budge. i have to roll the bike back and forth a little bit and then i can usually kick it with very little effort. but sometimes its just "stuck". this is while im holding the Decomp lever or if im not holding it. im asumming that its not a thing to worry about since when the arm moves, it moves smoothly and has little to no resistance

Assuming that the compression release works, the starter problem is potentially serious. It could be caused by a broken tooth on the kick start or idler gears. If this is the case, there is the possibility that it could lock up under a load, and if that happens, it can go as far as to break the crankcase at the starter bore. You should probably inspect the gear train behind the clutch and the starter assembly itself.

• Wiz636

Posted July 07, 2011 - 11:00 AM

i dont really have any specific questions but if anyone has some "pro"tips and things i should do to it let me know.

:ride:

Yep...dump the quad! :thumbsup:

• 2k1yz426

Posted July 08, 2011 - 03:34 AM

Yep...dump the quad! :thumbsup:

That's my friends kfx400. It's not so bad lol.

The oil is definitely MA Honda oil

The reason the kick start arm was going down was because I wasn't pushing the decompression lever in all the way.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.