2007 Primary drive gear and clutch basket gear with broken teeth

2 replies to this topic
  • yamaman1

Posted July 06, 2011 - 06:52 PM

I was riding last weekend and after about an hour or so I was having trouble getting into 3rd gear, but going down from 2nd to 1st and then back up to 3rd quick worked. Another hour went by and it would not shift to 3rd at all, engine on or off. Just opened up the clutch side case and I have 1 tooth broken off the clutch basket gear with some grooves on the machined surface as well. Also the primary drive gear has 1 broken tooth and the balancer gear has some marks and sharp edges but no teeth are broken. Once I took out the entire clutch assembly I am now able to shift all the way to 5th as normal. Everything else inside looks to be good but I am unsure if I need to investigate any further. At the very least I will get a new basket, basket gear, primary drive gear, and balancer gear. Im totally stumped as how this has happened, please help me out if there is anything Im missing too. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaman1

Posted July 06, 2011 - 06:59 PM

And Im pretty sure there is no loose metal in the crankcase because my magnetic drain plug caught those sheared teeth and shavings. What is involved if I need the get to the transmission gears?

• yamaman1

Posted July 07, 2011 - 05:09 PM

Anybody have any ideas? I was thinking if I replaced basket, basket gear, primary drive gear, and balancer gear and put everything back together to see if everything is back to normal. Anyone think I need to do anything before all of that? Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.