1986 Kawasaki KLR 600 Overheating

4 replies to this topic
  • durhamwd

Posted July 06, 2011 - 10:55 AM

I have owned this 1986 KLR600 for about 15 years and it has been converted and used for trail riding. It has about 9000 miles on it and has never had any major issues. The last time out in 85 degree weather the bike started to overheat and then started to backfire and lose power. When it cooled down it was OK until it overheated again. I have keep the anti-freeze changed every few years and it currently looks like new in the radiator. The thermostate and pump appear to be working since the water gets hot in the radiator and the anti-freeze appears to be moving when you look in the radiator with the cap removed. The fan also turns on and off automatically. Any input on how to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

• CRF420X

Posted July 06, 2011 - 12:32 PM

Try popping the thermostat out...

Check out this vid for the Thermobob install if your not sure where it is...

I realize you see flow but the KLR cooling system does not have a bypass at the thermostat. There is always coolant flowing past the thermostat even when the valve is closed and that may be what your seeing when you look in the radiator. Of course it flows wide open when the valve is open.

Try running the bike without the thermostat and see if that fixes your overheat issue. If it does, go buy a new thermostat or even better, buy one of the thermobob kits.

• durhamwd

Posted July 06, 2011 - 06:52 PM

Thanks, advise sounds good. I can not work on it for a couple of weeks because the bike is at my cottage.

• XDragRacer

Posted July 20, 2011 - 05:11 PM

Check out this vid for the Thermobob install if your not sure where it is...

I realize you see flow but the KLR cooling system does not have a bypass at the thermostat. There is always coolant flowing past the thermostat even when the valve is closed and that may be what your seeing when you look in the radiator. Of course it flows wide open when the valve is open.

Try running the bike without the thermostat and see if that fixes your overheat issue. If it does, go buy a new thermostat or even better, buy one of the thermobob kits.

Pray tell, CRF420X, HOW ON EARTH CAN A THERMO-BOB ENHANCE COOLING OF A MOTORCYCLE??????????

After the thermostat opens, does the Thermo-Bob magically increase the cooling capacity of the OEM water pump and radiator?

While the Thermo-Bob stabilizes coolant temperature more fully and at a HIGHER temperature than the OEM system, I can see no way the device enhances cooling (the OP has an overHEATING problem, not a problem running "too cool," an allegedly destructive malady the Thermo-Bob addresses).

If you can explain how a Thermo-Bob corrects an overheating problem on a Kawasaki engine, please do.

Thanks!

• CRF420X

Posted July 21, 2011 - 01:16 PM

Pray tell, CRF420X, HOW ON EARTH CAN A THERMO-BOB ENHANCE COOLING OF A MOTORCYCLE??????????

After the thermostat opens, does the Thermo-Bob magically increase the cooling capacity of the OEM water pump and radiator?

While the Thermo-Bob stabilizes coolant temperature more fully and at a HIGHER temperature than the OEM system, I can see no way the device enhances cooling (the OP has an overHEATING problem, not a problem running "too cool," an allegedly destructive malady the Thermo-Bob addresses).

If you can explain how a Thermo-Bob corrects an overheating problem on a Kawasaki engine, please do.

Thanks!

SOoooooo..... if you go back and re-read the post from the begining, you're not going to find a single place where I said the ThermoBob would correct an over heating condition. I suggested he simply pop out the stock thermostat.

I also suggested that he try running the bike without the thermostat and see if that solves the problem.

Try running the bike without the thermostat and see if that fixes your overheat issue

I think the part where you got lost and began yelling was when I referenced the ThermoBob video. I wasn't suggesting that the ThermoBob mod was the answer to his overheat condition (although get this, it probably would since the Thermo Bob kit includes a new thermostat!) I was simply providing a video that he could look at to see where the thermostat was located.

Check out this vid for the Thermobob install if your not sure where it is

I then bodly went on to suggest that in essence, if he was going to have to place an order someplace anyway that he should consider upgrading to a ThermoBob since I happen to believe its a worthy mod and he his going to have it all apart anyway. See this is one of those forum places where people with the same interests share ideas and people will sometimes make suggestions.

Hows that pray tell?

Related Content

Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2005 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2005
  • 1 review
  • Last review by jjktmrider
  • On October 18, 2013
Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2006 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2006
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Houndx
  • On July 14, 2014
Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2004 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2004
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2009 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2009
  • 1 review
  • Last review by fl08
  • On August 06, 2013
Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2011 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2011
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.