Adjusting Valves

2 replies to this topic
  • verge

Posted June 01, 2001 - 07:28 PM

How long should i wait to adjust my valves? Let me know how far off the cearance was, when you first adjusted them. I'm trying to figure out a resonable schedule to adjust them. I know what the manual says, but it also tells you to tear the engine down to inspect it for wear fairly often. I need some real world advise.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • F-Pilot

Posted June 01, 2001 - 07:54 PM

On my '98 I checked them every 4 months and adjusted them about once a year, very durable valvetrain!
Haven't even touched the '00 yet, I will check and adjust as needed soon, its about 1 year old now.

• YZ426er

Posted June 04, 2001 - 01:55 PM

I'd suggest you get it adjusted or checked RIGHT AT 10 hours from brand new and then about every 30-40 hours thereafter. I own a 2000 yz426 and the top end completely exploded about a month ago (with only 20-25 hours on the machine). The mechanics said it was becuase the valves were too tight... $3000 repair!!!!!!!!!

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.