getting off the ground

8 replies to this topic
  • DerekJohnson

Posted June 01, 2001 - 12:05 PM

Just started riding again after about 15 years. Picked up a '01426 about a month ago and finally feel comfortable on it. I am controlling the bike and not the other way around. Now I would like to start getting the thing off of the ground. Any tips or pointers on getting good jumps (and good landings) would be appreciated.
Thanks!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 01, 2001 - 12:26 PM

Just a word of wisdom...........
Keep the Rubber side down and the flesh side UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
NOPE..........BOY.......
That's not thunder ridin' your BUTT .........
It's a whole Damn HURRICANE!!!!!!

• Tom_N

Posted June 01, 2001 - 12:26 PM

I know what you mean, I have been learning to ride my 98 400f for about 5 months and am just now getting comfortable on larger jumps. The best advice I could give (as a rookie myself) is to start small and always keep on the gas even if its only a little jump. They are not like the 2-smokes which will carry their momentum when you let off the gas.

The tendancy is to let off the thottle on the face of the jump or at least at the take off point and if you do you will come down nose first every time. I would suggest getting your speed up before the take off and just keep enough gas on to keep your momentum and carry it on through the take off.. If your not careful, when you let off the gas the engine braking will bring your nose down or even make you come up short.

I am now finding that after practicing keeping on the gas that I can hit some jumps slower than I first did and just give it a blip of gas off the face and can hop over most of the small to medium stuff... These things have ton's of power its been a challenge learning to use it for sure.

Again I am a rookie myself and it's all been stuff I have read here and practiced at the track. There are some great guys here who can give you tons of good advice.

Good luck!
Remember stay on the gas!

• z4me

Posted June 01, 2001 - 12:27 PM

Yeah! Keep on the throttle until you clear the jump! If you blip it on the face of the jump like a 2-stroke you will be very sorry.

- Sean

------------------
- Sean

01 WR250F
00 DR-Z400S (for sale)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jasons

Posted June 01, 2001 - 02:16 PM

I have a few tips that I hope will help you.
The first thing to keep in mind when jumping is to relax. When you hit a jump riding stiff you and the bike become one big mass flying through the air and it is nearly impossible to make corrections. This is what happens when you take off and the bike kicks a little sideways and feels like a big brick that continues on its path no mater what you try to do. What happens is you are too stiff and when the bike kicks you also get thrown and end up off balance. Once you are off balance you have no leverage to move the bike around. I hope this is clear. If you watch a good rider he will seem to float with the bike no matter what it does. A stiff rider is depending on a smooth takeoff since he can't compensate for any unexpected movement of the bike.

That said, the best place to start is on a small single jump or table top. Practice landing on the back wheel, both wheels and the front wheel by shifting your weight. Do this until you can do it pretty much every time. Only jump a short distance at first. If you can't do this on a very small jump you can't expect to do it on a big one. Once you get comfortable with this work up to a little bigger jump. You need to get confidence with this so you know how to handle the bike in the air and with this confidence you will be able to relax.

Another think to keep in mind is that more speed doesn't always make you jump farther. After a point, what you want to get is more lift. This is done by acellerating into the jump, which loads the suspension more and throws you higher. This allows you to go farther without hitting mach 10. Watch the supercross guys, how do you think they clear an 80ft tripple with a 30 foot run? They accelerate hard and load the suspension, which throws them up, this also helps the landing since they are coming down with less forward momentum, so if they don't get all the way over the jump they don't get launched over the front of the bike. This technique works best on table tops and doubles etc. where you want to land on the down side of the jump. I have shown this to a few people and they are amazed that I am able to jump farther than they can with half of the run.

For single jumps it is usually best to jump out so you come in for a landing like a plane(gradually) instead of dropping straight out of the sky.

Keep in mind that this stuff takes a long time to learn, and the older you get the harder it seems to figure it out. I think that is because fear makes you stiff and riding the flying brick knowing a crash is coming is no fun.

By accelerating I don't mean you have to be wide open, use your head, start small and work your way up. You are better off taking a little longer to learn than pinning it over a huge jump and crashing. Develop the skills and then go bigger this is meant to be fun.

One last thing, wear as much protective gear as you can because you will fall. Hopefully on a small jump.
Good luck!

• DaveJ

Posted June 01, 2001 - 03:15 PM

Ditto to everything. Good job Jason.

Two things to add.

Go at your own pace. Practice is everything. The last thing you need to do is get excited or pushed by others and just think you can "go for it".

Secondly, almost always stay with the bike even when air control gets out of hand. We seem to have this natural inclination to want to toss the bike when things get weird while in the air. Dumb.

You'll be surprised what you can recover from for one. And secondly, even if you land hard with the bike, that seemingly little-bit of suspension (and seat cushion) can be the difference between walking away and having a set of broken legs (or a snapped back).

Patience and practice!

Best of luck!

DaveJ

• DerekJohnson

Posted June 01, 2001 - 04:37 PM

Thanks guys - I appreciate all of your comments. Let's see what I can do with it this weekend. Thanks Alot!

• F-Pilot

Posted June 01, 2001 - 07:22 PM

It also helps to have a buddy that you can follow to learn to judge the speed or acceleration needed to clear the jump.
This is especially good for after you master the basic technique and are ready for some doubles or larger tables.
I had a friend, Captain Juevos I called him, who was alot of help to me.

Two things he taught me:

Stiff suspension because you will bottom out when you come up short and stiff suspension will save your ass!

Better to overjump than come up short, a hard landing on flat ground is better than casing it!

Start out slow and work your way into it, before you know it you'll be amazing yourself.
These bikes can jump anything with ease I've cleared a 45ft table in second gear!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 01, 2001 - 08:02 PM

F-pilot........
I also clear a 60' table in second with stock gearing and hit it at about half throttle but accelerating up and into it.
It is not about speed. I t is about loading the suspension. kinda like a trampoline.
Try a small table-top and jump how you feel comfortable then try it with the same speed but "push" the bike into the face of the jump (almost downward) and see how much higher and farther and smoother it feels.
Work your way up .
I found that Tabletops are the easiest to work up to because of the NO MISS factor.
Jump a little then a little further and then alittle further til' you get the right speed to clear it and land down slope.
DO NOT CHOP the throttle!!!!!
Ask DOUG Henry bout' this!
Nose Dive city.
GO out and find a 30 or 45 footer and work up to it then go for the 15 or 20' dbl to build confidence.
After all if you go out and impress your buddies on the first jump of a 90' tripl and case it on the second mound you'll just have to sell it and worst of all you'll have to buy beer for everyone cuz' they are laughin' at ya'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
NOPE..........BOY.......
That's not thunder ridin' your BUTT .........
It's a whole Damn HURRICANE!!!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.