2011 YZ450F What's the best replacement tire?

12 replies to this topic
  • Pmason718

Posted July 04, 2011 - 08:52 PM

I've stated many of times that I'm a true sport biker returning to MX and I would like to know what is the best replacement tire for the 2011 YZ450F. I've read Bridgestone (in the sport bike world there consider horrible) 403/404 and the Dunlop MX51. In the sportbike world Michelin probably makes the best or most poplar tire but it doesn't look this way MX. I live in the northeast and would consider the dirt to be med/hard but I could be wrong.

• Family Man

Posted July 04, 2011 - 09:19 PM

depends on terrain, really. subjective. That said I like the michelin hp4 tires alot.

• Pmason718

Posted July 05, 2011 - 06:04 AM

depends on terrain, really. subjective. That said I like the michelin hp4 tires alot.

What would you consider the terrain to be where you ride

• crf450319

Posted July 05, 2011 - 07:45 AM

I've stated many of times that I'm a true sport biker returning to MX and I would like to know what is the best replacement tire for the 2011 YZ450F. I've read Bridgestone (in the sport bike world there consider horrible)

Like others have said, what terrain you ride will dictate which tire will work best for you. We deal mostly with hardpack stuff around here (MX only), so that's what I run. The good - based on my personal experience : Dunlop D739, Dunlop MX71 got this on my bike right now, Bridgestone M22.

I had a Kenda Carlsbad fall apart after only 3 hours last year, and had a Michelin HP4 fall apart after 7 hours which surprised me. I'd try the Michelin again, but I'll never put another Kenda on one of my bikes. I also had a Maxxis tear knobs while there was still a tonne of tread life, although with that tire I had gotten around 16 hours out of it.

I don't really know what you're talking about Bridgestone's being horrible tires in the sport bike world, I ran them while road-racing in '04 & '05 on my '04 R6. I ran BT001's and ran pro, they stuck almost as well as Dunlop slicks and they were $170 cheaper per set. In a race day I'd run a new front, and two new rears - one saw 3 races, the other saw 2. At the time, they were one of the best tires to run if you wanted to stay Supersport legal.

• rdefonce

Posted July 05, 2011 - 08:42 AM

I've stated many of times that I'm a true sport biker returning to MX and I would like to know what is the best replacement tire for the 2011 YZ450F. I've read Bridgestone (in the sport bike world there consider horrible) 403/404 and the Dunlop MX51. In the sportbike world Michelin probably makes the best or most poplar tire but it doesn't look this way MX. I live in the northeast and would consider the dirt to be med/hard but I could be wrong.

MX51 REAR tire is hard to beat for an all-around tire that works in various conditions.

Front tire might be diff story. I prefer Dunlop D952 on front for all around work.

As a side note (that reflects your street/dirt comments), my old '03 Gixxer 1000 runs with Michelin's Pilot Road 2's. Great all-around performer with good wear and good traction. Costly though.

• SEOINAGE

Posted July 05, 2011 - 09:33 AM

dunlop on my dirt, michelin's on my street.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pmason718

Posted July 05, 2011 - 09:46 AM

Like others have said, what terrain you ride will dictate which tire will work best for you. We deal mostly with hardpack stuff around here (MX only), so that's what I run. The good - based on my personal experience : Dunlop D739, Dunlop MX71 got this on my bike right now, Bridgestone M22.

I had a Kenda Carlsbad fall apart after only 3 hours last year, and had a Michelin HP4 fall apart after 7 hours which surprised me. I'd try the Michelin again, but I'll never put another Kenda on one of my bikes. I also had a Maxxis tear knobs while there was still a tonne of tread life, although with that tire I had gotten around 16 hours out of it.

I don't really know what you're talking about Bridgestone's being horrible tires in the sport bike world, I ran them while road-racing in '04 & '05 on my '04 R6. I ran BT001's and ran pro, they stuck almost as well as Dunlop slicks and they were $170 cheaper per set. In a race day I'd run a new front, and two new rears - one saw 3 races, the other saw 2. At the time, they were one of the best tires to run if you wanted to stay Supersport legal.

I'm running bridgestones now b/c they came on my bike stock but my brother has the same bike, same setup and the michelin's corner much better. Let me re-phrase what I said early, there not a bad tire just probably the least preferred among sportbikers. I know if all depends on the terrain that's why I specified my region and terrain in the 1st post to try to get an idea what ppl close in my vinicity is using.

MX51 REAR tire is hard to beat for an all-around tire that works in various conditions.

Front tire might be diff story. I prefer Dunlop D952 on front for all around work.

As a side note (that reflects your street/dirt comments), my old '03 Gixxer 1000 runs with Michelin's Pilot Road 2's. Great all-around performer with good wear and good traction. Costly though.

I didn't know it was ok to run a different thread pattern for the front and rear tire (if it is diff). Most street guys want the same thread pattern front and rear. Thank you guys for your help. I just heard so many good things about the bridgestones and the Dunlops just was wondering what people were using

• crf450319

Posted July 05, 2011 - 12:35 PM

I'm running bridgestones now b/c they came on my bike stock but my brother has the same bike, same setup and the michelin's corner much better.

I didn't know it was ok to run a different thread pattern for the front and rear tire (if it is diff). Most street guys want the same thread pattern front and rear. Thank you guys for your help. I just heard so many good things about the bridgestones and the Dunlops just was wondering what people were using

If you like the Michelin's, and they wear well I'd stick with those. If I was looking for an intermediate terrain tire I'd probably try the Dunlop MX51, I've got 10 hours on my MX71 and so far I'm impressed with the wear (or lack thereof) and traction it offers. I'd guess the MX51 is as good ? For what it's worth I used to get 20 to 21 hours out of my D739 rears, 18 to 20 hours out of a Bridgestone M604s and 16 hours out of a D745 (Int).

And you're fine if you want to switch brands/terrain types between front/rear tires. Right now I've got a Dunlop D745 front paired with that MX71 rear.

Edited by crf450319, July 06, 2011 - 05:52 AM.

• jk322

Posted July 05, 2011 - 02:07 PM

I've found the MX51Rear to be a versatile, predictable, strong tire. Its only real weakness is from loose/soft to hard transitions, but some of that is operator's right hand. Overall on my 2010 yz450f I give it a 9 out 10.

The MX51 Front, not so much. I tried this on my YZ, pulled it off and put it on my KTM, and it was the same--vague at best. The required braking distance on my KTM increased a good 10-20' before the corner compared to the 745. On the YZ it wasn't planted or solid on soft or hard tracks. I found a new 756 for now. After it's done, I will try the Bridgestone 402/403 or the Dunlop MX31 for sandy tracks.

• rickallen124

Posted July 05, 2011 - 08:23 PM

I'm running a dunlop mx31 in the front and mx51 in the rear for soft to intermediate conditions and it works well. If I were looking for intermediate to hard I would either go with a mx71 front, mx51 rear combo or the bridgstone 403/404 combo. Check with the guys at your local track/ shop to see whats working in your area.

• YamaLink

Posted July 06, 2011 - 05:20 AM

For a practice or general riding tire I'll take whatever is free even if worn out halfway, ha. For a race I like the Bstone 4-series or a Michelin. But those get spendy slapping new ones on all the time. It's whatever gives you and that bike confidence in 90% of conditions at a psi which won't give pinch flats or dented rims.

• Pmason718

Posted July 06, 2011 - 08:39 AM

sounds good, thanks fellas

• rcmxracing

Posted July 06, 2011 - 11:32 AM

For an all around versatile tire combo can't go wrong with the Bridgestone 403/404 combo. I've got those for all around and another wheel set with the 203/204 combo for sand and mud. A good all around combo on a budget is the old school Dunlop 952's. I've tried the new Dunlop MX51's and wasn't a fan of the front, rear was good but wears quicker than the Bridgestones IMHO. I'm also a fan of the Michelin Starcross MS3's for Sand and real deep loam. I haven't tried the other Michelin's. I would also consider some of harder terrain tires, especially front (the Bridgestone 603 or Dunlop MX71) if you're on real hard pack. It's all about the front tire on these 450's! You can find front wheels for YZ's all day long on Ebay, $100 - $150, maybe even w/ rotor.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 First impressions by Scott_72

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 13 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 prices? by rk8950

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo

09 y450 engine in 14 wr450 frame by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Engineering and Technology
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

15 crf450 vs 15 yz450 by Emkjr93

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 11 replies
Forums
Photo

2010 YZ450F Season rebuild. Which Piston? by Gravesdigger

• 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.