Weird Clutch Issue On 08 Yz450f

12 replies to this topic
  • yz125ohioracer44

Posted July 04, 2011 - 05:16 PM

Ight, so my bike is giving me an issue that I've never dealt with nor heard about ever hah, so bare with me trying to explain this. So lets say I get to the track and I just start up my bike, the play in the clutch lever is set to how it should be(nickle width of play/space between the inside ends of the lever and perch). I let the bike warm up and go onto the track, as I do a moto(about 5 laps) I begin to notice the play in the clutch lever grows more and more as the motor warms up and then the play stops growing and stays where it's at(aprox. 6 times more than the play I started with). So I pull off to the side and re-adjust the play back to the nickle width of play and the bike is fine. I'll pull off and take a break for about 10-15 mins and let the bike cool down. After the break, I get back on the bike and there's no more play in the clutch, so if I go out and try riding it the clutch slips and I have to pull over and adjust it again and then after another moto I have to repeat the process. The bike has a new clutch in it and I just can't think of what it could be. I was thinking maybe the clutch basket is worn out but I'm not sure. Any help is appreciated :]

• grayracer513

Posted July 04, 2011 - 05:53 PM

The clutch is getting hot, expanding, and moving the pressure plate away from the push rods, creating more play. When it cools down, the play goes away. You are either using your clutch too much, or have replaced your stock plates with a set of aftermarket parts.

• yz125ohioracer44

Posted July 04, 2011 - 06:36 PM

So you recommend buying an oem clutch kit? I don't think I use the clutch too much...

• grayracer513

Posted July 04, 2011 - 06:50 PM

OEM is a lot tougher than many of the available aftermarket kits, yes.

• yz125ohioracer44

Posted July 04, 2011 - 07:01 PM

Do you think it can only be the clutch plates, not the basket or anything else? Thanks for the help btw.

• fastyz250

Posted July 04, 2011 - 07:14 PM

i have a barnett clutch in my 06 and i love it, heat does not seem to affect it too much and it feels great. i have used barnett clutches in the past with great results

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • i_wheelie_longer

Posted July 04, 2011 - 07:20 PM

I had the same problem on my 08, but never had this problem on my old 06. I believe the 08 has one fewer clutch plate than the 06 to make for an easier clutch pull, but consequently more clutch fade. I'm almost positive you can switch out your 08 clutch set-up for the 06 style, but I am not positive on all of the parts you would need for the conversion. Anyone care to fill in?

But yes, I would first start off by installing OEM friction and steel plates and see if that solves your problem. OEM is certainly the way to go for clutches.

• grayracer513

Posted July 04, 2011 - 10:34 PM

Yes, it's the plates causing it, and yes, the '07+ clutch is more subject to it because it's short a plate.

To convert to an '06 clutch:

http://www.thumperta...940#post7261940

• todds924

Posted July 05, 2011 - 09:36 PM

OEM is a lot tougher than many of the available aftermarket kits, yes.

Gray, That was a problem with my 08 also. The cure was to replace everything with an 06 set-up.
I got tired of the stock 08 set-up.
That was also a problem with my 2010 until I put the linger 2011 clutch arm.

• grayracer513

Posted July 06, 2011 - 05:56 AM

That was also a problem with my 2010 until I put the linger 2011 clutch arm.

Did you also add a plate to the '10, or did you get it working well with 8 plates?

• todds924

Posted July 06, 2011 - 06:36 PM

Did you also add a plate to the '10, or did you get it working well with 8 plates?

No I actually got the 10 working well with just changing the clutch pull arm to the longer 2011 part.

• yz125ohioracer44

Posted July 07, 2011 - 07:02 PM

Thanks Gray, Is it worth going to an 06' setup instead of buying oem clutch plates and basket for an 08'?

• grayracer513

Posted July 07, 2011 - 08:02 PM

The '06 is a more robust clutch, there's no question. The OEM plates, or premium replacements like Hinson, work better in either case, so don't think you can cut corners and get away with a cheap clutch kit by going to an '06.

If you need a basket, you need one, whichever setup you go with. In your bike you'd use the '08 basket either way.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.