450 on the Road

25 replies to this topic
  • pschiess

Posted July 12, 2011 - 11:09 AM

650 does and the DRZ400s does as well. DS's are heavier than the dirt only bikes for a reason.

You are asking to do some serious miles on the WR. Most people you read about do 100 street miles a month, not 200 a week (what you are proposing) and are run very carefully, or rebuilt quite often.

Like was mentioned, you CAN do it. But it wouldn't be fun or advisable. Pick up a $600 UJM bike for running back and forth to work. Throw a shit-ton of miles on that and keep a WR for dirt or short street trips.

Right after I bought my 04 I put street stuff on it and went for a mostly street afternoon DS ride following my dad on his DRZ400s. Let's just say one of us was ready to be done after 25 minutes and it wasn't him. My SSS hurt for 2 days after.

I have had 3 DRZ400S and none of them have a cush drive hub. They have been quite good for commuting (total mileage on the 3 DRZ400S is about 18,000 miles). I currently have my 2005 DRZ400s set up with a 15/41 sprocket combo and it is ideal on the street. My dual sported WR450f would be gruesome on the street as a commuter bike. There is no perfect bike but a WR450f is far from an ideal commuter bike in any situation.

• travertt

Posted July 12, 2011 - 12:57 PM

I had a DRZ 400...I now have a WR450...

Its a no-brainer....Get a DRZ (or equivalent) for your purposes...you will NOT be happy with a WR450 as your commuter bike. Make a list of all the reasons why not as stated in the previous postings and take it from me...the're are all true.

PS....you say you're surrounded by all kinds of forest....all us city guys would kill for that. Try doing a little more woods riding....you may get addicted like the rest of us. Then you can get a WR and have a blast.

• Sknight

Posted July 12, 2011 - 01:20 PM

PS....you say you're surrounded by all kinds of forest....all us city guys would kill for that. Try doing a little more woods riding....you may get addicted like the rest of us. Then you can get a WR and have a blast.

No kidding. My closest legal riding is 50 miles and that's little more than dirt roads, my closest real riding is 62 miles from me. I didn't really think that through.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted July 12, 2011 - 06:58 PM

I have had 3 DRZ400S and none of them have a cush drive hub. They have been quite good for commuting (total mileage on the 3 DRZ400S is about 18,000 miles). I currently have my 2005 DRZ400s set up with a 15/41 sprocket combo and it is ideal on the street. My dual sported WR450f would be gruesome on the street as a commuter bike. There is no perfect bike but a WR450f is far from an ideal commuter bike in any situation.

I stand corrected, but I could swear my dads 06 DRZ400s has a Cush drive.

My mistake.

Mike

• KGSloan

Posted July 13, 2011 - 07:52 AM

the drz may take care of that shock in the clutch basket, i dunno.

but any proper street bike will have some way of absorbing those shocks. we do, afterall, have reciprocating engines and without some way to manage the torsional effects and shocks from gear shifts and clutching parts will not last long.

• GuyGraham

Posted July 13, 2011 - 10:50 AM

18K.....I got 41K miles on mine
Had 3 big end failures though....Suzuki deny there is any problem though (well they would)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.