450 on the Road

25 replies to this topic
  • ktm50king

Posted July 04, 2011 - 04:25 PM

looking at getting a WR450 , It will be a daily commuter aswell as a weekend fun machine to take out to the trails with the kids , I travel 60 miles round trip daily to work 5 days a week and I want to know the range of the 450 at highway speeds , only having a 2.60 gallon tank could be a drawback

also Is the 450 capable of putting on the big miles reliably ? I would be looking to take the bike to work atleast 3 days a week every week

• stlavsa

Posted July 04, 2011 - 04:30 PM

gear it tall thus keeping the RPMs low and you'll be fine

• Cooksend

Posted July 04, 2011 - 05:53 PM

I have a dual sported 2003 WR and have around 6000 miles on it. Most of the time I run a 14 / 52 gear set but will bump to 15 or even 16 on the counter shaft sprocket when hitting the long haul at speed! The 16T wont let you run the case save so save the hard riding for the 14 and 15. I love the bike but would not go this route as a commuter! Really enjoyed my 1999 DR350 doing that better! This bike likes the woods!!!

• Strattos

Posted July 07, 2011 - 11:06 PM

Just something to think about - apparently the extra grip you get on the bitumen puts extra stress on the gearbox. Some recommend fitting a cush(?) drive if you're doing a heap of bitumen work.

Not sure if this is overkill, but have read it a few times in different places.

• miweber929

Posted July 08, 2011 - 04:20 AM

This has been covered countless times, please search to find the answer.

Long story short, ANYTHING can be done, but you are using the wrong tool for the job. WR's are built with an off-road only driveline and will be taking a lot of abuse on the road, especially that long, that often. You'll be changing oil once a week if you follow the recommended schedule, replacing 5th gear about every season or so and will wear through tires, sprockets and chains quite often as there is no Cush drive to soften the blow. Not to mention the stock seat will be painful after 15 minutes on the road.

A DRZ400, XR650L, DR650 and such will be a MUCH better steed on road and still fairly capable off. You are asking for the perverbial off road bike to play but trying to justify the expense to your wife or self by commuting when they are not even close to the same purpose. In the end you'll be far more dissapointed then it's worth.

Mike

• Sknight

Posted July 08, 2011 - 04:42 AM

I agree. It could be done but in reality it's an off road bike that has more road friendly gearing, a softer suspension and just enough lights to get a plate in most states. It's road worthiness is really limited to forest roads and getting to the trails.

I could be done but there are far better options for what you're looking for.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 08, 2011 - 05:30 AM

It will be fun for the first few days, then it will be annoying, uncomfortable, and high maintenance.

Find a used DR650 and go for it.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted July 08, 2011 - 05:55 AM

When I have to ride my wr450 on the street its no fun.Just road a new wr450 turned in to dirt tracker street bike.A $ 20,000 bike just as no fun.If you did want it to live on the street change rear to 40t.Now you can go with 15t.For off road change frt to 13t,5 mins to change.

• stlavsa

Posted July 08, 2011 - 07:35 AM

The thought about a cush drive never crossed my mind. Do bikes like DRZ and DR650 have a cush setup in the rear wheel? (pardon the ignrance).

I have seen plenty of folks convert 450s, 530s, etc over to supermotards and never heard of a problem with gear boxes.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted July 08, 2011 - 01:40 PM

Thats because they know how to ride on the street(easy)A few years back I was doing 50mph wheel stands.Broke the cases on the street

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 08, 2011 - 01:43 PM

It will be fun for the first few days, then it will be annoying, uncomfortable, and high maintenance.

Find a used DR650 and go for it.

few days... I'd give him 20 minutes and he'd be wondering if he made a good choice

• miweber929

Posted July 08, 2011 - 01:51 PM

The thought about a cush drive never crossed my mind. Do bikes like DRZ and DR650 have a cush setup in the rear wheel? (pardon the ignrance).

I have seen plenty of folks convert 450s, 530s, etc over to supermotards and never heard of a problem with gear boxes.

650 does and the DRZ400s does as well. DS's are heavier than the dirt only bikes for a reason.

You are asking to do some serious miles on the WR. Most people you read about do 100 street miles a month, not 200 a week (what you are proposing) and are run very carefully, or rebuilt quite often.

Like was mentioned, you CAN do it. But it wouldn't be fun or advisable. Pick up a $600 UJM bike for running back and forth to work. Throw a shit-ton of miles on that and keep a WR for dirt or short street trips.

Right after I bought my 04 I put street stuff on it and went for a mostly street afternoon DS ride following my dad on his DRZ400s. Let's just say one of us was ready to be done after 25 minutes and it wasn't him. My SSS hurt for 2 days after.

• GuyGraham

Posted July 09, 2011 - 03:19 AM

I got a WR450 and a DRZ400
The WR450 is not good on the road - little flywheel weight, engine stutter from the TPS, stiff suspension etc

The DRZ on the other hand is much better on the street and pretty good in the dirt (not as good as the WR mind you)

As said above, the WR is the wrong bike for that kind of street mileage - you will regret your decision if you go WR for 250mile/week commute

• YamRZ350

Posted July 09, 2011 - 09:32 AM

I'm having a ball on my WR 450 motard. Between building it, adding the street stuff, test rides and running it back and forth to work I've put on almost 40 hours and 1500 miles since I bought it May 6th. The valves haven't moved (I checked them twice so far) and The motor has plenty of power even with the street gearing. Oil changes will be an expense for sure though.

If you gear it right, and keep up on the maintenance (which will be more than a factory built street bike) you'll be OK.

• filfido

Posted July 10, 2011 - 04:15 AM

Reading through this thread its been said before but I wouldn't recommend using a WR for a commuter in dirt form. I did it for about a month, the seats too hard, it eats its tyres, looses the front end in the wet and is generally unplesant but it can be a commuter with a bit of thought. Put a set of 17" road wheels on it so you have a cush drive and save your tyres and transmission (use a cheap electronic speedo so you don't get booked every five minutes). Long range tank saves you stopping for gas every five minutes and a gel pad works wonders for your backside and spine.
Looking round for the right priced parts you can do this for a little over $1000.
I can switch between road and dirt in about an hour and a half, of course its a compromise but if like me you just have fun off road or scratch through your favorite set of bends it works well and still puts a grin on your face.
It does need oil changes etc to schedule which can be a pain and cost $ but I think its well worth it....

• MaxPower

Posted July 10, 2011 - 11:26 AM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]The WR is horrible as road bike. I read hundreds of posts of people the dont want it to be. So get it.Its possible. But you know you will be riding a dirt bike on the road the entire time. Its possible to trail ride a GSXR 600 too

You can absorb a little more road shock to the transmission by using a clutch basket

The basket on the quad has damper springs in the back of it to take some of the hit out of the transmission. Quads really get abused. If you look at he pressure plate its much thicker on the quad also and able to be used on a bike.

I got this idea from a forum member named Haskell. He used it on his bike.I got a basket but never got to install it. He said he had to change the primary gear on the crank to the quad gear but Im not sure if he did that because he had a aluminum framed bike (which are different from the older 450s like mine)

[/COLOR]

• ktm50king

Posted July 11, 2011 - 02:15 AM

WOW thanks for all the replies , what an amazing forum , Yes my main concern is the road capabllity of the WR450 , Offroad is it everything I am looking for in a dualsport but it will be doing 95% of its life on the road , thats not to say that it wont see the dirt often because it will , I am surrounded by hundreds of miles of Forest trails and I need something I can get lost on with my boys on the weekends

• Sknight

Posted July 11, 2011 - 05:54 AM

I'd go with the earlier idea of going with a cheap UJM to commute on and keep the WR for riding to the trails.

If you keep your ear to the ground you can find a Ninja 250 or 500 for pretty cheap. Solid as a rock, reliable and great gas mileage. And a hoot to ride as well. I come in at 300lbs. and it'll tote me easy as can be beyond highway speeds.

• GuyGraham

Posted July 12, 2011 - 03:40 AM

WOW thanks for all the replies , what an amazing forum , Yes my main concern is the road capabllity of the WR450 , Offroad is it everything I am looking for in a dualsport but it will be doing 95% of its life on the road , thats not to say that it wont see the dirt often because it will , I am surrounded by hundreds of miles of Forest trails and I need something I can get lost on with my boys on the weekends

Get the DRZ then, with a spare set of wheel for knobblies
WR aint the bike for 95% road work trust me

• CanadianWR450

Posted July 12, 2011 - 06:22 AM

You guys are forgetting the KLR 650 as a very good DS machine....
Might be a bit dated these days, but bullet proof, reliable, and goes forever, and gets both job's done within expectations (As long as your not going to try a harescramble or GNCC...lol)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.