clutch basket options

4 replies to this topic
  • primerib108

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:00 AM

Ok, I am going be installing my new GYTR basket/clutch kit this week and I was wondering on a couple of options to install the kick pinion gear because I do not have a press. I heard heating the basket in the oven to about 400 degrees for 15 minutes will let the gear essentially fall into place.....heard the same with freezing the kick gear. Or should I just try to find someone who has a press because these are both dumb suggestions?

• grayracer513

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:20 AM

Heating/freezing will help, but you should definitely not heat the basket to 400 ℉. Set the oven to 275 ℉ and leave the basket there for 15-20 minutes to allow it to fully reach that temperature. Going beyond that temp can potentially affect the heat treating of the alloy.

The use of a press is advisable in any case, although it can be done without one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • primerib108

Posted July 04, 2011 - 04:59 AM

Thanks Gray.

• primerib108

Posted July 12, 2011 - 04:05 PM

Well, my clutch is done and just wanted to post results. The gytr components are definitely an upgrade from stock, I have way more clutch feel that I can feather even better than before. It was a little noisy (little bit of a whirling sound) but it subsided after a 4hr ride. Clutch clatter is gone too because the old basket was notched badly.....is the GYTR basket forged?

Found a few steel plates from the old clutch discolored....the 2 near the pressure plate and to back end of the boss seemed to have it the worse.

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2011 - 05:51 PM

.....is the GYTR basket forged?

Billet, I believe, but possibly forged. They're made by Hinson as far as I know.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.