ran perfect then....

8 replies to this topic
  • 4fatty

Posted July 02, 2011 - 03:38 PM

I was riding around my yard the other day on my 05 yz450. it was running perfect. The next day I pulled the bike out to go riding again, let it warm up and it stalled out from what I thought was just low idle. It would then fire up, idle fine, but giving it throttle would make it bog and die. I took the plug out, cleaned it up a little, didnt clean the carb spotless but did a quick clean. still, bogs and dies off of idle.

any ideas?

• 4fatty

Posted July 02, 2011 - 03:39 PM

and i also made sure accel pump was tuned correctly

• ttr250dude

Posted July 02, 2011 - 05:16 PM

Was the plug wet when you to

• ttr250dude

Posted July 02, 2011 - 05:18 PM

Was the plug wet when you took it out? How long did you leave the choke on? It sounds like it was just flooded.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 4fatty

Posted July 03, 2011 - 07:18 AM

it was wet, but im assuming after i cleaned the carb and plug it would run better? could the plug be smoked?

• grayracer513

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:12 AM

From your description, it sounds like something lodged in the main jet.

• ttr250dude

Posted July 03, 2011 - 02:56 PM

How would a plugged main make a plug foul?

• grayracer513

Posted July 03, 2011 - 03:17 PM

You said the plug was fouled. He said it would idle, but wouldn't take any throttle above/beyond that, which is pretty much exactly what happens when a main jet or main fuel circuit is wholly or partially clogged.

• 4fatty

Posted July 05, 2011 - 07:16 PM

well i took apart the fuel spigot, and sure enough, the filters were filthy! cleaned those off, rinsed the tank out and fired it up and ripped around like it was new!

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  131 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.