Question about oil grades and friction modifiers

3 replies to this topic
  • Pooley

Posted August 31, 2003 - 07:36 PM

This is a copy of a question I had in the TTR forum.

ONLY USE 20W-50 RED CAP. The other viscosities of Mobil 1 use friction modifiers.

I just put in the Mobil 1 red cap SAE 15W-50 and the back of the bottle says "API service SL/CF". Does this have the friction modifiers? How can you tell by looking at the bottle. The manual says not to use grade CD or higher, I assume then that the CF is not the appropriate oil. The bottle does not say "Energy conserving". If this is the wrong oil it looks like I may be changing the oil soon.

Thanks.

• MN_Kevin

Posted September 01, 2003 - 04:04 AM

Pooley,
You should change your name to "Shotgun Pooley! How many forums have to repeated this on anyways...

>> http://www.thumperta...5/o/all/fpart/1

>> http://www.thumperta...5/o/all/fpart/1

I meant 15W-50... :)

I think I have answered this on ALL the forums you posted it on Pooley.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tctrailrider

Posted September 01, 2003 - 04:47 AM

Pooley,
The Mobile 1 15-50 Red Cap is what you want to use. I have never seen the red cap in anythiny other than 15-50.

• Pooley

Posted September 01, 2003 - 11:07 AM

I figured I would post on the different boards just in case folks don't visit other forums. I would have provided a link to the original post but I don't have that much computer savvy.

I found this on the Mobil 1 website after posting.

"All viscosities of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ exceed the latest API SL standards. In addition, three of the five Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ viscosities – 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 – also exceed ILSAC GF-3, and are certified as "Energy Conserving" motor oils."

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.