First 2010 yz450 trail mod?

6 replies to this topic
  • CodyWayne718

Posted June 30, 2011 - 06:21 AM

I've seen lists in other threads on what people have done to theirs for the trails, so my question to those guys is, what mods would you do first? Such as the gytr tuner, sprokets, skids, clutch or what. Jus tryin to get a good startin point so I don't spend 300 bucks on somethin when something else would have been a better purchase. Thanks in advance, its much appreciated

• RiderX

Posted June 30, 2011 - 07:41 AM

Rekluse

• rdefonce

Posted June 30, 2011 - 08:57 AM

If you ride anywhere near rocks, a skid plate is a priority.
besides that, a bit lower gearing should compliment the Rekluse (I swapped my 48 rear sprocket for a 50, definitely better for most situations, even MX)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted June 30, 2011 - 10:32 AM

I wouldn't skimp on protection stuff- handguards, skid plate, radiator cages at a minimum. Then start figuring out your gearing and if you want the cushy stuff like a Rekluse.

• onelik

Posted June 30, 2011 - 01:49 PM

I've seen lists in other threads on what people have done to theirs for the trails, so my question to those guys is, what mods would you do first? Such as the gytr tuner, sprokets, skids, clutch or what. Jus tryin to get a good startin point so I don't spend 300 bucks on somethin when something else would have been a better purchase. Thanks in advance, its much appreciated

http://www.motology....hp?ViewVideo=46

Check this video out about trail riding a 2011 yz450f

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 30, 2011 - 05:57 PM

There is a great article in the July Dirt Bike mag about how Paul Whibley set up his YZ for the OMA/GNCC series. Of course he is super human, be he uses no auto clutch and no flywheel weights. It sounded like the best mod was the Vortex ignition and using it on the "fluffy" setting along with a spark arrestor muffler that toned the bike down quite a bit. He also talked about the G2 throttle cam to slow things down, but said he usually goes with the stock type of pull. Rekluse manual clutch for easier pull and more durability made things better as well.

Another good article here involving the GYTR flywheel, which they say made a huge difference.
http://www.motorcycl...-Race-Test.aspx

• rdefonce

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:46 AM

There is a great article in the July Dirt Bike mag about how Paul Whibley set up his YZ for the OMA/GNCC series. Of course he is super human, be he uses no auto clutch and no flywheel weights. It sounded like the best mod was the Vortex ignition and using it on the "fluffy" setting along with a spark arrestor muffler that toned the bike down quite a bit. He also talked about the G2 throttle cam to slow things down, but said he usually goes with the stock type of pull. Rekluse manual clutch for easier pull and more durability made things better as well.

Another good article here involving the GYTR flywheel, which they say made a huge difference.
http://www.motorcycl...-Race-Test.aspx

More good info, thanks! Man I might have to consider using my 450 for off-road after reading all the rave.

I just installed a GYTR off-road FW on mine (however I mostly use bike on MX tracks, not off road), haven't ridden it yet though.

also an FYI, the 4.4 oz FW for the '10 - '11 models actually has a bigger effect to the powerband than the 9 oz FW on the '06 - '09 motors, because the FW is Larger in diameter. (The added weight is farther away from the crankshaft centerline.)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.