Extending reserve on desert tanks.

Body Gas Tanks & Accessories

30 replies to this topic
  • Justin Pearson

Posted August 03, 2011 - 09:45 AM

Cool, let us know how it works out. I love it! Much more confidence when im out exploring or when im "sort of but not quite" lost... =)

• Justin Pearson

Posted July 16, 2014 - 10:02 AM

Necro revive! Just figured i'd report back after all these years that this mod has saved my butt countless times! Having the extra fuel with the tank foam combined with the 50% reserve has been the single best addition to my setup; second only to the Rekluse!

• nardski659

Posted July 17, 2014 - 03:25 AM

What year WR is your petcock from? Or does it matter?

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2014 - 06:35 AM

WR petcocks from '99-'06 have a fuel outlet that exits to the right, so the line exits rearward when mounted on the left side with the valve handle facing out.

Petcocks for '07-'11 models have the fuel fitting exiting forward. Use the one that suits your situation. Both have the same bolt pattern and gasket.

• Zimman

Posted July 17, 2014 - 07:02 AM

interesting upgrade 

i was reading from the beginning since this was revived

and the neg comments on the dual petcock struck me as funny

the Acerbis i have if u want you just leave one side off then it will retain all that fuel and also you won't need to tip over to transfer don't all duals have on/ off /reserve ?

i was also wondering about aeration and fuel slosh  issues with the intake so high on the modified pickup  but since the update didn't mention any issues I guess it's not a problem

the length of the tube must keep the air out of the system

Edited by Zimman, July 17, 2014 - 07:02 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justin Pearson

Posted July 17, 2014 - 09:30 AM

interesting upgrade 

i was reading from the beginning since this was revived

and the neg comments on the dual petcock struck me as funny

the Acerbis i have if u want you just leave one side off then it will retain all that fuel and also you won't need to tip over to transfer don't all duals have on/ off /reserve ?

i was also wondering about aeration and fuel slosh  issues with the intake so high on the modified pickup  but since the update didn't mention any issues I guess it's not a problem

the length of the tube must keep the air out of the system

Yeah I guess I should have put more details about what I meant. It wasn't really a "negative" comment but more of a "this is why I like this idea better". On a dual valve tank you certainly could run with 2 reserve valves, but depending on the tank and valve design, you still would not have a 50% reserve without modification. The "tip over" amount thats left in my tank, in my mind, is like a "you screwed up big time, you have 2 minutes of fuel, get to the high ground and make camp and a signal fire".  :lol:

Well I dont think I get much of any fuel slosh anyways due to the tank foam, but even without, why would you recon there would be any more slosh at half a tank than 1/8th tank? Also, I think you would have to have one huge fuel guzzling beast to even get close to depleting your float bowl AND fuel valve though-put capability! I know some alcohol 400+cc banshees that claim to have that issue occasionally on long dune pulls but...

• Zimman

Posted July 19, 2014 - 11:43 AM

Good points  thanks Justin

I missed the tank  foam

but your right if aeration  was a concern it would still happen no matter where the intake was  it would just happen at a different level

i may try shutting down one side of my dual petcock tank    and see how far I can go once I hit reserve and use the opposite sides fuel

now that you peaked my curiosity

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2014 - 07:18 AM

There is no concern with air in the fuel line on a bike with a carb.  The engine takes fuel from the float bowl, not the tank, so as long as the bowl is kept at an operational level, it doesn't matter whether air gets in the fuel line or not.  I've never figured out how anyone expected the fuel from the very bottom of some of the steel frame desert tanks (IMS, for example) would ever get used anyway, with the delivery end of the fuel line higher than the bottom of the tank. 

• Justin Pearson

Posted July 21, 2014 - 08:03 AM

i may try shutting down one side of my dual petcock tank    and see how far I can go once I hit reserve and use the opposite sides fuel
now that you peaked my curiosity

Heck yeah, report back if you dont mind. Id like to know!

• Justin Pearson

Posted July 21, 2014 - 08:05 AM

I've never figured out how anyone expected the fuel from the very bottom of some of the steel frame desert tanks (IMS, for example) would ever get used anyway, with the delivery end of the fuel line higher than the bottom of the tank.

FUMES! DUH!  :devil:  :p  :lol:

• grayracer513

Posted July 21, 2014 - 08:26 AM

Really?  I thought you were supposed to stop when the gas got that low, open the cap, stick your mouth down on the tank and blow another float bowl full into the carb, then proceed til it quit again.  Sounds like you're saying that wasn't the design?

:p

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.