03 WR450 3" factory Excel wheel. Need Help!

1 reply to this topic
  • ptellis2246

Posted June 28, 2011 - 05:55 PM

Maybe I'm the only one out there (but I doubt it) that just doesn't want to spend 1/3 of the cost of my bike to get the supermoto feel for the street. I've been looking at wheels and I really don't want to or have an extra $700.00 just sitting around. What size street tire can I fit on my factory 18" rear wheel? I can see upgrading the front to an 18" or 17" to help drop the front end for better cornering. Is a 17" 4.5" that much better on the rear than my factory 18" by 3" wide? we are only talking a 1/2" in overall height. I do understand you can fit more meat on a 4.5" wheel but for street use is it worth it. Please help!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted June 29, 2011 - 03:23 AM

The height is a very small part of the equation, it is the width (and the driving force) that matters. A 4.5 wide wheel is more than 60% wider. If you do not think that is a lot, imagine 50% more power or a salary increase of 60%.
SM uses 17" ties because when the sport come on, the only suitable tires were 17's and sport bike rims. Even today, thjere is not enough volume out there for a tire manufacturer to make 18" SM tires. If they were made they'd be $200~$300 each. I'd rather buy the wheel and pay $100 a tire.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.