YZ450F stator

3 replies to this topic
  • chrispa

Posted June 27, 2011 - 11:24 PM

guys,

does anyone know what the output capacity is on a YZ450F standard stator ? Also, the typical output voltage undeer load? (ie. +/-15V, 1A)?

• grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2011 - 07:06 AM

If you mean an '03-'09, and are referring to driving lights, they have no capacity for that whatsoever. There are "rewinds" available that will produce 55w AC/35w DC, but none that I know of are reliable at all.

The '10+ EFI stator produces upward of 110w, and the entire system is DC already, so it could theoretically support lights IF the lights were switched. The EFI system needs ALL of the electrical energy while starting in order to run the fuel pump etc., at cranking speeds.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chrispa

Posted June 28, 2011 - 11:16 PM

I'm not planning to run driving lights off them, I was just curious to see that the all cabling from the stator is unprotected (no fuse etc.).. But there's a bit of an unorthodox approach to protecting the cables, in that if there's a fault on one of the cables, or you place a load higher than say 15W on the bikes cabling, the bike automatically cuts out as there's no longer enough energy supplied to the spark plug to keep the bike running...

My bike has some low power consuming lights on it that came with the bike.. there's a regulator which converts the AC voltage from the stator into DC, but all of the bikes cabling (to the regulator and CDI) is unprotected... The existing cabling from the bike will easily handle at least 5A without getting hot... I'm assuming the stator can produce no where near this much current without the bike cutting out or the coils frying..

Is this common practice on these bikes? (ie. no fuses etc. bike on cabling)

• Schpenxel

Posted June 29, 2011 - 11:30 AM

I've never seen a fuse on a dirt bike for the ignition system, if that's what you're asking.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.